I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Friday Follies/ Decals
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 05:00PM

...if you happen to make your on decals....PAY ATTENTION to spelling and repeatedly ask your "customer" if THIS is the right spelling....Peter can be Peder... Marc is Mark... and some people can get really @#$%& off if you don't put a period after a middle initial!!!

My favorite was a rod that wanted (names changed to protet the innoent) ..." Too Fred with love (then under it)..Love Wilma".....so I crank out "Too Fred with love...from Wilma"..............changing the "love" to "from" created quite a stir in which I was forced to do the decal over by the following weekend for their fishing trip.

I came inches from leaning the blank against the wall, jumping on the rod, smashing the blank to bits and handing them a refund........the decal became more important than the rod!!

Pay attention to spelling and "gramicular frayses"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Friday Follies/ Decals
Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 05:25PM

thanks for the advize

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 05:37PM

My last cstomer qestioned "Bad 2 De Bon" but he taked it anywa!

Gon

Date: November 11, 2005 05:55PM

"Bad 2 De Bon".....thats french, right? lol

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 06:06PM

Jesse Buky freaks out when he sees the decals I stick in front of one of his lifelong passions. My real object is to buy enough of dem Bones from him that will entitle me to meet his dentist!

Gon Fishn

Date: November 11, 2005 07:29PM

"dem bones" are the best or "most applealling to ME" I've seen with the enapsulated stuff...I hope to see some of Jesses hosels/ etc.. in Charlotte......Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 08:36PM

Also show pictures of colors when ever possible.
Had some one that wanted a cast seat painted " gold "
Glued it and the handle on, sent a picture.
Got back " I thought it was more " yellow " ??(*&^%$
I always thought gold and yellow were two different colors

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 09:39PM

I know what ya mean Bill. Jeez, Gudebrod alone has Glitzy gold, Pale gole, Ole gold, and plain Gold. They are REALLY different, too. The gold pigments I use marbling are pretty different in color (some), too.

I just goofed up on a decal; had a repeat rod for a guy, forgot he had me put "Boat Jumper" on the first one and just put his real name on it. He said it was OK, but I told him to bring it to me this winter if he wanted and I'd change it for him.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 09:48PM

Randy
guess it's the way people are ??? ya got to check every detail before.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.85.47.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 08:04AM

This is true even if you have DC make decals for you. Make darn sure your order is right. Only now can I start to laugh over my worst decal flub. Remember the Rods for Troops? There was a shipping problem so by the time I received my setup, I wound up with no time at all to get it done and have the rod delivered by the specified date. Crank it out, the finish cures for two days. Some things I don't like but overall I'm pleased. I'm double checking the shipping address when an alarm goes off. I unpack the rod from the shipping tube and there it is.... Custom built by, yadda yadda, "Courtesy of Mr. Bob Lee, CEO - American Tackle Inc. (For those not chuckling already, Mr. Lee is CEO of Pacific Bay).

I madly sand down and get rid of the AmTak part, do a hand inscription, put some permagloss on it and watch the writing dissolve. Do it again, let dry, put on some CP, and watch it dissolve. Try it again with a different CP, same result. With no choice, I leave it as it is and put on a coat of finish. Looks okay, just not centered of course. One day of dry time, and I'm out of time. Notice that in the right light, silver metal flakes are streaked through where I hadn't sanded finely enough. Very ticked at myself, I send it off, and dejectedly start cleaning up my work area. I look down and stare at a decal in the same size and font....Pacific Bay... the rod blank info that I didn't use, opting for the provided dry transfer decal.

I scream obscenities at myself, and was near inconsolable at that point. Still upset at myself on that one, but slowly getting over it.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 09:07AM

At the very beginning of this thread you said "Too Fred" . You mispelled "To" one "O" not two in this instance. Don't get me wrong, I'm no English teacher but since you were pointing out mistakes I didn't want you to miss one. Jesse

Date: November 12, 2005 09:35AM

....(I meant to type "To"), the issue with this was the "from/love" mistake...heck, I got one of the "love's" in on the decal...the fact that I had to do it over still kills me....( I know its cruel, but deep down inside I hope they got into a fight on their fishing trip and "Wilma" now has masking tape over her name with"Betty" scribbled in crayon).

PS...protet the innoent = protect the innocent (I really need to jump on the keyboards "C" for it to work)

Bad deal Mick !

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.155.215.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 03:46PM

Mike , the last fly rod I built this spring was for a friends moms 60th birthday ,
the inscription read ; "To Mom , with love and admiration , your Son , Nate ." I e-mailed it directly to Jimi as a CC from this guy . Then I printed it and attached it to his slip . I covered my butt if there was a spelling issue or grammerical issue. Try a waterslide that size , one line , on a Sig V 5wt ............. I was Shakky puttin that un on the rod. John

Got Fish ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster