I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What! No Winding Check?
Posted by: Russ Miller (---.rpsa.ricoh.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 04:19PM

Hello Everyone,

I have seen some very nice fly rods with no winding checks, just thread tapered to the blank. Do people use a small tapered arbor on the blank and apply thread over it? Or is it just a matter of building up the thread above the grip and then tapering it to the blank. What is the best way to achieve this look?

Thanks for all the great information put up on this board.

Russ Miller

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What! No Winding Check?
Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.us)
Date: November 11, 2005 04:50PM

Could be epoxy winding checks too. I use them on most of my rods.

Posted by: Don Lukehart (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 05:02PM

I use rod bond and an old credit card cut to the proper size to achieve the taper. This is done while the rod is spinning on a dryer. A little sanding when it's dry and you are done

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 07:38PM

I do a lot of those on spinning rods also without a foregrip as well as fly rods and here is how I do it. I put the rod on my dryer and slightly raise the tip end. with the rod turning, i put gobs of 5 minute epoxy where the blank meets the foregrip. As the rod slowly turns, the epxy will flow smoothly creating a nice smooth ramp. You have to keep adding epoxy until you have enough to make the ramp that you want. The height of the tip end will pretty much determine the slope of the ramp. When it is dry, I just wrap up the ramp until I get to the foregrip and tape the thread end to the foregrip and apply finish, When dry, just trim off the excess thread end with a razor (you can also just add a drop of super glue to the end of the wrap).

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Joshua Markvan (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 08:47PM

I've done a number of rods with no winding check, no thread, and no epoxy in this area where blank and grip meet. If you get the reaming of the front grip opening just right--super snug--it gives a cool minimal look I think.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.69-93-60.reverse.theplanet.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 09:14PM

You can make something that looks like the Orvis Superfine by just tapering your cork down at a shallow angle to the blank. Put a coat of CP on the cork 'ramp' and then you can wrap right up it.

Or do as Joshua says and just get a nice even fit with no ragged hole in the grip and you can just make a trim wrap right up against the cork grip and let you finish just ever so slightly lap up onto the face of the cork. Looks good to me!

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 11:12AM

I usually use a thin slice of rubberized cork and shape it as part of the grip. Since the rubber stretches a little, it is easy to have it fit well with no gaps.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 05:25PM

I do all my personal rods with no winding check and use epoxy to build up a nice "flow" from the reel seat onto the rod blank-no froegrip on anything of mine :)

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster