I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Enlarging open on premade cork grip?
Posted by: Ross Andersen (162.129.176.---)
Date: November 11, 2005 01:52PM

I am building a 15 wt blank and plan to a PAC Bay full wells grip. This will require that I more than double the size of the exisiting opening. On smaller blanks, in the past, I have a used a round rat tail file and slowly opened the hole to an appropriate size. I fear that this will take several hours since the butt of this blank is huge. Anyone have a faster way?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Enlarging open on premade cork grip?
Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (144.92.5.---)
Date: November 11, 2005 03:19PM

Many options. the fastest one I can think of is buying the cork reamers from mudhole or cabela's. you can make 'em yourself too. I use the round rat file also for very small reaming jobs by putting the file into my drill. Then I graduate sizes of cork reamers. After reaming holes that big, I always go back and fine finish the edges with fine sand paper on a solid flat surface.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.0.28.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 03:33PM

If you use the file in your drill, be sure to run the drill backwards. If not, it will drive itself into the grip, and maybe split it. I have some first hand experience with this.
I use a lot of the premade grips, and have really gotten quick at reaming them out. First, the file in the drill backwards deal, then go to the reamers like Mudhole sells.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 07:56PM

If you're using reamers that are built on rod blank pieces, you can Rod Bond and old drill into the butt and chuck it into a drill.

Mike

Posted by: Nick Doben (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2005 01:41AM

I finally got tired of the drill-and-file thing. Reamers are really cheap. They are much quicker than a file. And, using reamers, it's much easier to get the whole centered.

Posted by: Roger McEvoy (---.dsl.euclwi.ameritech.net)
Date: November 14, 2005 08:21PM

I guess I'm not the only one that epoxys old drill bitts into reamers. This does work great, but you must graduate size so you don't get too large of a bite and crack the cork. Some hand reaming may be needed. Running drill bits backwards is also a good solution. I only use the reamers for large holes over 7/8.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster