I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trim wrap question
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 10, 2005 10:06PM

What is the best way to preserve your trim wrap color while using no cp on the main wrap. Do you get ncp thread for the trim? This seems like the easiest approach. Thanks for any input. Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trim wrap question
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2005 10:20PM

Metalics work well too!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 10, 2005 10:24PM

I use metallic for trim. The few I have done with nylon A required NCP and wicked CP on the trim only. I use all dark grey blanks and using nylon thread make this a tough task with most light colors of thread. The toughest one I faced was using an orange NCP on University Of Florida theme rods. To keep orange and reds honest you almost gotta use CP if the customer does not like metallic trim.

Good Luck

Gon

Date: November 10, 2005 11:16PM

I build flyrods and metallic is jsut a little wild for me. Most factory rods use no cp on the main wrap and thread for the trim. I will be going with garnet with grey trim on my next project which is quite common. I am first going to get some gunmetal thead I have seen. It seems pretty bright in the cats and maybe this won't get to dark going with no cp. I think Powell uses this combo and it looks good. Just have to see what happens and try a few things till I get it right.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.207.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 04:55AM

i don't usually use CP but at times have wanted crisp thin white trim so i used NCP white size A thread, from pac bay, although i assume even gudebrod's would work fine. as you surmised, very easy, without "resorting" to metallic. ;-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: November 11, 2005 07:47AM

A trim band to me is normally two threads wide - and metallics can look quite nice when the right colors are chosen. I guess one day I will "resort' to building a fly rod and then I may consider untreated nylon.

Gon

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 09:07AM

I build mostly fly rods using metallic trim and haven't offended many fly fishermen by using that trim. If used tastefully they seem to like it but tastes and customs do vary widely. One of my most heavily used rods is completely wrapped in copper metallic and it catches fish as well as rods with the all black "stealth wraps".

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (204.86.38.---)
Date: November 11, 2005 10:05AM

I build only fly rods and also use metallic trim a lot. Most people love it if you stay classy with it. On my own rods I have used only metallic, but I march to the beat of a different drummer girl.

The gunmetal with no cp will turn a medium gray, on a dark blank. It won't stay that bright silvery color you see in the catalogs. I did a rod finished with garnet and gunmetal trim, no cp and it looks nice...good transition into the black blank, definately not bright though.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.194.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 11:48AM

i hope everyone knows my term "resort" was tongue in cheek! ;-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: November 11, 2005 03:34PM

Thanks for the replies. I will try both and see how it comes out before I resort to building a spinning rod. Tom

Date: November 11, 2005 05:54PM

Eric: I fully understood the position of your lingual muscle! I was just funnin and thought I could get a rise out of the limber stick wavers group! I wish I was computer savy enouth to make that cute smiley face on the board post!

Gon Fishn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster