I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wrapping the tip
Posted by: Joe Hamel (---.madison.k12.wi.us)
Date: November 09, 2005 12:29PM

I'm in the process of building my 3rd and 4th rods. Each time I wrap a rod it goes well entil I get to the tip then wrapping is more difficult because the tip of the rod isn't braced and its flimsly compared to the butt. Consiquently my wraps at the tip don't look as well as the ones at the butt. Does anyone have tips wrapping for wrapping the tip end of the rod? Thanks for the help.

Joe

P.S. I tried a search but found nothing

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wrapping the tip
Posted by: Bob Firebaugh (---.communicomm.com)
Date: November 09, 2005 12:39PM

Try using a bobbin similar to what is used for fly tying. I was fortunate enough to find one which took both fly tying spools and rod building spools (made by Slick, I think) and it works well. With the rod building thread the tension is adjustable without having to use hand tension on the spool while wrapping.

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (204.86.38.---)
Date: November 09, 2005 12:44PM

I like to move my rod supports closer together and use lighter tension on the thread and it works, even for little flimsy 1 and 2 weights. Is it easy? Not as easy as wrapping the guides closer to the butt, BUT that is the nature of the beast. I also have extra supports that can be used to brace the rest of the rod. I stunk at it for a while but practice and with each rod the tip wraps will look better and better. Practice is the key IMHO.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.25.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: November 09, 2005 12:59PM

i've had problems with wrapping the tip in the stand too. i have since started taking the tip section and cutting a length of thread, freehanding the winding. sometimes just sitting on the sofa.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: November 09, 2005 01:00PM

For those with Clemens & Renzetti lathes, I'm hoping to have a new tool to unveil in Charlotte to take care of this problem once and for all. I've been using a prototype for a few months and have to get it re-worked. Hopefully it will be at the Show.

It is a major hassle, especially on lighter blanks, just hold the tip with your hand to prevent it from being pulled towards teh tension. It does take some practice to get right

Posted by: Joe Hamel (---.madison.k12.wi.us)
Date: November 09, 2005 01:23PM

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to try the bobbin since I have a couple for fly tying.

Joe

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.att.net)
Date: November 09, 2005 05:14PM

I use a bobbin as well. works great and i start my wrap away from the tip and wrap towards the tip so my finish is up against the tip. this seems to give me a cleaner wrap than if i start at the tip and wrap away then tie off.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 09, 2005 07:58PM

I support the tip of the blank with a finger to keep it in the right position while I wrap it. This works well even using a #6 B/CLAG Alconite guide as a tip on a 2wt. rod. I sometimes wrap a tip three or four times to get it right while the rest was smooth and easy. Above all, practice, practice practice. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2005 09:31PM

I was having trouble with the tip also. What I did was on my extra v-block I put an L bracket on and set up a seperate tentioning device. It works great. Ths rod is held by the two main v-blocks and the tip portion hangs out about five inches right over the the third block. I set the tention loose enough not to pull the rod then tighten up a bit after the first few winds.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2005 10:54PM

You didn`t mention if you were power wrapping or had wrapping but if useing power take off the belt and do the tip section by hand.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: November 10, 2005 04:48AM

I would have to agree with those who find wrapping a tip top alot tougher than other guides.It can definitely be frustrating,especially when you are trying to add a couple of single trim wraps in it or something.

Using less thread tension helps,but I find doing this wrap is definitely a lot more time consuming than others and requires a heck of a lot more patience.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: November 10, 2005 10:33AM

Extra supports and hang the tip over. Use your free hand to support the tip. Loosen the thread tension. Certainly no power. Be very careful to pull your loop directly back along the blank. I often don't wrap the tip at all. It adds nothing and I change tip styles fairly often.

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 10, 2005 12:55PM

Joe,
What I do is turn the rod around on the rod supports and use the chuck portion of my power wrapper to support the blank tip before the actual guide tip goes on. I build up the tip with masking tape thick enough for the chuck to support it about 1/4" to 1/2" in length. Of course, I premeasure the length of my tip for the starting point of the wrap. I put the first support about 6 inches from the tip and the second way down near the butt. It holds the tip without flopping around and I can then finish my wrap rotating the rod by hand or power. I then glue the tip on AFTER the wrap is complete. I do it this way so I don't need to worry about thread tension and it works especially well on rods with sensitive or extra flimsy tips. Just how I do it.

Posted by: Bill Rice (---.254.144.205.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 09:45PM

Joe:

I slide out the handle out of the chuck, put my home made V-block on the lathe which jacks up the handle high enough to clear the lathe head and slide the whole rod down to where I can use the 2 rollers close enough to do the tip at the end. You have to turn the slightly bent rod by hand , You still have the thread tention and spool rack but it too saves on buying the extra table section.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 13, 2005 09:54AM

I made a tip support that supports the barrel of the tip top. The portion that contacts the tip top barrel is simplY a piece of material cut from a credit card & attached to an "L' shaped piece of aluminum rod. The end of the support rod is attached to a stand-alone base that fits the wrapper base. It's very simple & works well.

Will post photos later this weeK. Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster