I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cut my butt or clip my tip!
Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 07:13PM

Let's say that I want to get a GSB1321M for fishing MTK etc throwing plugs to 3.5oz but I have to take off 6 inches because the one piece doesn't fit in my truck. Would you either cut off 6" from the top, 6" in from the butt or 3" from both. I understand that taking from the tip will stiffen the action and that removing part of the but section can soften the action to a degree. I just want to know what you would do in this situation. Thanks!

Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cut my butt or clip my tip!
Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: November 08, 2005 07:27PM

never compromise the integrity of a rod's design for convenience. buy a new truck!

sorry, couldn't resist. hopefully others wil be more helpful.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 07:33PM

I love it! You know what? I think you are right. I'll see what my wife thinks... ; )

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 08, 2005 07:56PM

Not quite. Cutting from either end is going to make the action slower. Cutting from just the tip means that not only will the action be slower, but if it had a fairly light tip to begin with, your casting weight range will move up the ladder quite a bit. 6 inches, heck even 3 inches off the tip is going ot make a noticeable difference in how the blank casts and feels.

Cutting only from the butt won't change the casting range by much, if any. But the rod will still have a slower action which you may not like - it's going to feel quite a bit different.

Here's what I'd do - tie the lure you plan to cast onto the very tip. Grab the blank where you would if you were casting it and heft and swing that lure around on the full blank length. Now move the lure back 6 inches on the tip and do it again. You'll notice quite a difference in how things act and feel. Now slowly start moving up the lure up, an inch at a time and seeing it feels. When you get to the point that you think you can live with, trim the tip from that point and remove whatever else is necessary to fit in your car, from the butt.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.210.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 08:28PM

Get a 2 piece blank. And a new truck if you can swing it

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 08, 2005 08:39PM

On a GSB 1321M...cut it from the butt to accomodate the truck. No sense changing that particular blank toooo dramatically by lopping off the tip. (and "no sense " buying a new truck unless the bride approves of this behavior) There's also the trick of cutting off the butt to accomodate travel arraingments, but also creating a "two peiece" , by utilizing the cut butt and an insert to create a "two pc".....take it out of the truck, jam in the "fighting butt"....6"????... now your back to a modified GSB1321M with a slightly different action.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 11:17PM

How about carrying the rod in the back of the truck?

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2005 12:23AM

In a tube!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 09, 2005 02:00AM

Scott - TK's method is choice and gives you the most control.
MJ's "fighting butt" is great, too, IF you can get it to work.
Test that tip load before you cut. -Cliff Hall+++

"Table of Effects of TRIMMING or EXTENDING a ROD BLANK on its Various Performance Properties" [www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2005 02:46AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Dan Colville (136.183.145.---)
Date: November 10, 2005 03:06PM

Hey bud. I would clip 4 from bottom and 2 from tip if you had to. Why dont you get a rod rack for the front of your truck? You will be able to have anysize and model rod you want. If you live near the surf it is the only way to go. Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Dan Colville

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster