I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Flock Failure
Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: November 10, 2005 01:14PM

Sure there is more profit in sales and less labor. You don't get into rod building to make it a career, most builders start selling their rods to pay for their components and it grows from there. Rod building is a very good additional income but you would be hard pressed to make a living off just rod building. Jesse

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: November 10, 2005 08:08PM

Jesse, this is for you! The original rod sold for $ 175 with RX8 high modulus popping rod blank with flocked split grip and Amtak Holos. I made a deal with him to replace that rod built on a wonderful Forecast Special Green Custom Pro Model Signature Limited Edition. As per his request no Fuzz on this one and reused all but one of the guides. I let him have this special deal on replacing the old one for a exchange fee of $ 50. I would be ashamed to list what I paid for the blank. He is happy, still a charter customer and I am wrapping the new one tonight. Without your guidance I would probably challenged him to a duel with loaded pistols and run him completely off.

This rod is worth a heck of a lot more !! When builders sell rods like this for cheap prices ---all builders loose out. People see this and then figure if they look hard enough they will get some one to make one like this.

maybe that is why I keep getting people that want high quality rods made for wallmart prices ????

Date: November 11, 2005 09:58AM

Ever think you may be targeting the wrong group of fishermen? There are only a few that will pay the really high prices where there are a lot that will pay medium high prices. You may build what you feel is the best rod in the world but it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Jesse

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 10:08AM

Maybe I just need better " hype "

Date: November 11, 2005 11:43AM

No doubt about it "Hype" sells, how are people going to even know about you with out it? What part of the country are you in? Here in Va. Beach, Va. I have over a million people within a 50 mile radius and there are only a few rodbuilders here. I spend about 6-7 hundred a month to air a radio commercial that I got G.Gordan Liddy to make for me in 1997 for a bait castig rod with his picture on it. You got to have Hype, no wonder you sound bitter, you got no Hype! Few years back at at the Rodcrafters Convention this guy was telling me he got 1100.00 for his trolling rods, I asked how many he sold and he said he averaged 2 a month.My math tells me that is 22,400.00 per year with is nice as added income but hardley enough for a total income. Forgot to ask him but I bet he didn't have Hype. Jesse

Date: November 11, 2005 12:09PM

Up here in Jersey there are a lot of builders - even Billy V LOL. Don't tell him I said that.
But there ya go, you have the money to spend on advertising .
I keep wondering if I should keep spending the money for the search, and my site. Figure I should go for another year. What the hay.

Date: November 11, 2005 01:50PM

I have money to throw around now but I sure did'nt for a long time in the beginning. By search and site are you talking about the net? I have gotten orders from my site but it has not come close to paying for it's self. Word of mouth is by far the best advertising there is and it takes a while to build that up with satisfied customers. Jesse

Date: November 11, 2005 08:09PM

I hear ya on that. Yes the net.
I got to fish more - get more exposure. Fly rods seem to be hot. Hopfully in time.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster