I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
When finishing a wrap do you always "bury" the cut end under the wrap?
Posted by: Jason Smith (---.dal.net.va.gov)
Date: November 07, 2005 08:51PM

I have always used LA Garcia's method of breaking off the thread end under the finished wrap with a wire (spectra) loop. Now I've watched Dock Ski's video and he seems to just clip the ends where they poke thru the wrap. I've tried it his way but always end up with some bumps in my final finish, even after I scortched the ends w/ a lighter. Now, if I want to do some wraps with multiple color rings, it dosent seem possible to "bury" the ends of the preceding color under a thin thread line of the secondary color. How do you tackle the problem? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: When finishing a wrap do you always "bury" the cut end under the wrap?
Posted by: Trevor Doylend (---.gv.shawcable.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 09:05PM

dido, I was going to post a very similar thread. T

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 07, 2005 09:24PM

Stick ups vanish completely after the first coat of finish when you have a Personnal Hair Shaper Extra Long Extra Sharp Razor Blade. Very quick and you do not have to torch anything with any lighter!

Gon

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 09:53PM

You got it Bill!
It sure is a b#$%h when you torch a fuzzy and inadvertantly scorch your wrap!
Although I still use a lighter from time to time, ( old habits die hard! LOL) I have found it is easy to deal with fuzzies with a razor blade!

I am not familiar with the technique noted by Jason. What is the "LA Garcia" method?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Gary Nolf (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 10:03PM

After I cut close with the razor blade I go back and burnish the stick up back into the wrap. With a little effort it totally disappears.

Gary.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.6.4.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 10:17PM

Pull through and trim with razor. Anything that sticks up, use a dental pick or similar tool inserted between threads and pull the tag under.

Date: November 07, 2005 10:40PM

Thanks everyone, I'll give it a try.

Date: November 07, 2005 10:41PM

Thanks everyone, I'll give it a try.

Posted by: Trevor Doylend (---.gv.shawcable.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 10:45PM

cheers all. T

Posted by: Kevin Birznieks (---.228.184.3.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 10:58PM

I started using a good sharp pair of fly tying scissors. I pull just hard enough to "stretch" the thread then snip it. I started out with the razor blade and I think the scissors are the ticket. No fuzzy!

Posted by: david williams (---.formysite.com)
Date: November 08, 2005 02:28AM

when you pull your cut end thru with the loop pull the cut end back toward the end of the wrap it
came from just enough to form a small gap in your wrap. cut thread off close to the wrap
and burnish wrap back into place. tag end is hiden and with good sharp razor no fuzzies

david williams

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: November 08, 2005 07:16AM

I do it exactly like David Williams says and I never have a nubby leftover. One key is to have a very sharp razor. I start out every new rod with a new blade, they are cheap in comparison to the frustration of the nubs later.

Scott

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 03:46PM

I used to pull back on the tag end and cut straight down on the tag but since my hands are not steady anymore I use a finger nail clipper. I use a Revlon brand which is very sharp. I pull up on the tag and the same time push down on the wrap with the clippers and cut. The tag end will snap under the wrap.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 08, 2005 05:32PM

The best thing that I ever saw for trimming tags and leaving NO nubs is a GOOD pair of Cuticle Nippers [www.rodbuilding.org] I first saw this method used by Bill Stevens in Charlotte and believe me, it works!!
A bit pricey (close to $20) but have a lifetime guarentee and free sharpening! Cuts flush with NO nubs. You can get them at any Beauty supply or large drugstore (I got mine at Walgreens for about$15)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2005 06:19PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 09:08PM

I'm also a conert to cuticle nippers - a good one works great!
Stan

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 09:11PM

I'm also a convert to cuticle nippers - a good one works great!
Stan

Posted by: Jason Smith (---.modem.utah.edu)
Date: November 09, 2005 10:56AM

Thanks. Plenty of good suugestions.

Posted by: john channer (---.228.156.129.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: November 09, 2005 09:58PM

start your pull loop with 1/3 or more of the wrap left to finish, then when done pull the tag two or three threads under, then cut off flush to the last turn and pull on the loop, the end will disappear beneath the wrap. I've taken to pulling guide wrap tags completely thru alongside the guide feet, this also helps fill the void there and gives the finish something to wick it into this area.
john

Posted by: Stephen Altenbach (---.dixie-net.com)
Date: November 10, 2005 03:29AM

I use the method where you insert your pull a little bit earlier than you might usually, so you have about 8-10 wraps after and then i pull the tag end just barely through the first two wraps, then i cut the tag end with a very sharp Xacto knife, and pull the rest though. You have already cut it and it automatically gets buried under the other wraps when you pull your whip finisher through. No cutting, no snipping, no fuzzies. This is especially good for mettalic threads that get all torn up when you pull them through and then try to cut them.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: November 10, 2005 10:26AM

I can't imagine why you would not lay your loop on with 10 wraps left as Stephen suggests and then pull the tag under. You do have to use the loop at some point after all, why not be done with it in the next step? I pull the loop snug to the wrap then lay the edge of my scissors against the blank to cut the tag short. This insures a uniform tag length to pull under. Dental picks, razor blade, and lighters are used when you screw it up.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster