I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Holding single foot guides while wrapping
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2005 11:21AM

I must be missing something. I have a terrible time holding small (size 6) single foot guides in place while I wrap. I do OK on the butt end where the diameter is 1/4-3/8". But when I get near the tip end and the diameters are .005" they move like crazy. I have read the search results buyt no definitive answers. I have tried the smallest Orthodonist bands, rubber thread, masking tape etc. etc.The guides want to tip over and/or slide up.My fingers are big if I touch the guide it means starting over. Is there a trick I am missing? I am afraid to cement and not be able to re-position the guide once it is wrapped.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Holding single foot guides while wrapping
Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 11:27AM

Doug,
Flex Coat sells a guide adhesive that will hold the guide without a strong permanent bond. I have some but seldom use it because most of the rods I build are heavier saltwater rods and masking tape works fine. You can fine the adhesive online pretty easily and it's relatively cheap. Randy.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: November 07, 2005 11:31AM

I have the same issues, big fingers and trying to work with those small guides. I end up splitting the 1/4" wide tape into thinner strips and use it. I can usually get it to hold the guide well enough in place and then start to get some thread over the foot. Once I have enough thread on the foot, I can take off the tape. Even with the thin strip of tape, it can be a hassle wrapping them, but I work my way throught it. I also make sure I have my rod rests on my lathe set up so they are fairly close to each other when I am doing any one of the guides. This seems to better support the rod and I can work with it easier.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 07, 2005 12:26PM

Go to any hobby shop that deals in mdels. They carry plastic tubing used for model engine fuel lines, etc. It comes in various diameters, is inexpensive and with a cutting board and a razor blade you can slice off a years worth of thin rubber bands. Slide as many as you need, with a couple of extras, on to the blank (before the tip is installed) space them were you want and slide the guide feet under them. They are easily moved and adjusted and once you wrap up onto the guide foot, just nick with a razor blade and they fly of. Quick, easy and best of all CHEAP!

Mike

Posted by: Jim Smith (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 02:06PM

I have also found that rubberized elastic band material (the kind the Lone Ranger used to hold his mask on:) ) works well for me. One overhand knot and it stays in place pretty well. Once there's enough thread in place to hold the guide in place, I can easily release the elastic band to use again later. Just one method...

Jim Smith

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 02:08PM

Flexcote guide foot adhesive solved the problem for me!

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2005 03:29PM by Stan Grace.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 02:26PM

I had the same problem until I came up with this solution. I place the guide where it will go...and wind several wraps of thread both in front and behind the ring. This is like a temporary Forhan Lock. I tape the loose ends to the blank out of the way in front of the ring. This holds the ring securely at the front, If needed I will also wind some thread along the foot of the guide. Now the guide is held flat on the blank and is not going anywhere. There is enough space at the lead end of the foot to wrap the guide securely in place. Then I clip the middle holding threads and wrap on towards the ring. Once the wrap has a solid hold of the guide I clip the last of the holding threads and finish the wrap. After trying all the ways mentioned above this is my favorite by far.
Hope you like it too.
Dave

Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.arsup.psu.edu)
Date: November 07, 2005 02:35PM

Doug et al.,

Here's a chance to share a little bit of experimentation from a relative newcomer. I too have that dreaded "fat fingers" malady, or maybe I'm just plain clumsy -- the less "stuff" hanging on the guide when I'm wrapping, the better things end up. I have tried a few of the suggestions, including those above, and what had come closest to ideal was using the guide foot glue. It's fine for wrapping, since there is nothing in the way, but it does not offer the on-the-fly adjustability of the other techniques when it comes to aligning the guides prior to wrapping.

I recently built a spinning rod with single-foot guides (Titans, including size 6 fly guides) where I started by holding all guides in place with small sized wire/cable ties while I lined them up. Once everything was in place, I wicked a drop of crazy glue under each of the guide feet, being careful not to get the ties involved. When the glue dried, and I cut off the ties, I found the glue provided more than enough strength to hold the guides in place while I wrapped them, only having to be a little careful not to bang them against anything.

Don't know if you or others might consider this, but it worked for me!

Bilgee

Posted by: Rich Gassman (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 03:37PM

I have tried a few different methods, find that the small electrical heat shrink tubing assorted sizes cut in small bands works the best for me. You do not heat it, just cut different sizes in small bands and place along blank where you would think guides will be, back them up just enough to slide guide under, then slide them so the shrink tube tightens around the blank and guide, position where they should go. This holds the guide very firm, yet easy to remove when wrapping guides by cutting. May be worth a try, take care.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 01:15AM

I also like the electrical shrink tubing, as well as surgical tubing, small ruberbands (the ones used for braces).
However, while reading this thread it occured to me that "magic thread" would work great too! You know, the strechy thread used for holding bait onto hooks. Just hold the guide down by sliding the foot under your index finger and hold the end of the Magic Thread with your thumb and make a couple of wraps while stretching and then just snap it and done! Will have to try it myself but the theory is sound!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: joe arvay (---.an3.ind20.da.uu.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 03:20AM

Heck, I like to set it all up for the final guide positions and wrap a fairly meaty arbor of masking tape IN FRONT of where the guide is to be placed. After that, just place the guide and secure with a thin strip of tape until the thread gets on it and holds it in place. The masking tape arbor keep the guide from sneaking forward while I'm wrapping and the side of the arbor does have a bit of sticky to it that eliminates the guide shifting. It's the only way I can really do this with single foot wire fly or Fuji single foots.

Yeah, it's a waste of tape and one does have to peel off the arbors after the wrap is done, but it works for me! Masking tape is quite cheap anyhow. I build for me, not a high production kinda guy.

If one is careful, an anti-sneak arbor could theoretically be made from a broken rubberband, latex sheeting, other material. A nice, even stacked wrap at the junction of the guide/rod, then wrapped back and taped off. I know what would happen if I tried this, others may have luck with it. It'd be easier to undue and remove.

Posted by: David Olley (---.lns6-c8.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 08, 2005 03:57PM

Hi
I use a plain rubber band which I break and then tie 2 turns around the blank tightly, tying it off with a simple knot. Slide the foot underneath. Holds tight enough to start your wrap and cuts off easy. Cheap to!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster