I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Attaching single foot guides
Posted by: Dave Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 06:05AM

I've been using two-foot and snake guides exclusively and the masking tape method to attach my guides. I will be building my first single foot guide rod, and I'm wondering what methods some of you use for static placement. Obviously using masking tape would make the job a little tricky. I've thought of elastic thread at the loop so I can start a wrap below it, then cut the thread when the foot is secure. Will it work without too much trouble? I have fat finger disease, coupled with stumblebum syndrome. Is there hope for me?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Attaching single foot guides
Posted by: Jim Racela (J.AkuHed) (---.ontr)
Date: November 07, 2005 06:32AM

I use rubber bands which works great because you can move the guides for alignment and hold them in place the whole time. Wrap the band , 1st around the ring then make a couple, 3 wraps around the base.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 07, 2005 08:11AM

Masking tape works fine. But, you have to know the trick to using it on short footed guides. Don't make the mistake of trying to tape the guide to the blank - you don't have enough hands to hold the guide to the blank and apply the tape at the same time. Instead, Cut or tear narrow tape strips and apply the tape strip to the guide first - forget about the blank for the time being. Center the tape strip on the guide foot near the ring and stick it down.

After you've applied the tape to the guide foot, set the guide on the blank with one hand and use the other hand to press the ends of the tape strip to the blank. You'll find this easy and effective. Best of all, it's extremely quick.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 07, 2005 09:47AM

Go to any hobby shop that deals in mdels. They carry plastic tubing used for model engine fuel lines, etc. It comes in various diameters, is inexpensive and with a cutting board and a razor blade you can slice off a years worth of thin rubber bands. Slide as many as you need, with a couple of extras, on to the blank (before the tip is installed) space them were you want and slide the guide feet under them. They are easily moved and adjusted and once you wrap up onto the guide foot, just nick with a razor blade and they fly of. Quick, easy and best of all CHEAP!

Mike

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 11:10AM

I use the smallest electrical zip ties. cheap enough, they hold very well, and you can slide guide to reposition on the blank somewhat. after i put about five or six wraps on i clip the connection block with a
set of diagonal cutting pliers. never had a problem with damage to the blank.

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 12:24PM

I strongly suggest elastic thread. It can be bought in Walmart 30 yards for $.88. You can wrap the guides in with this thread ,test cast , slide the up and down the blank with in reason . I've tried the other stuff suggested and there is nothing that compares.Just my opinion.

Posted by: Jeffrey Titulaer (---.csaengineering.com)
Date: November 07, 2005 04:18PM

This weekend I was so frustrated with aligning a small single foot guide I decided to superglue it on. The top two guides were giving me trouble on a 6ft ultra light spinning rod. The superglue worked very well. You have a few seconds to align the guide before it sticks. Then you don't have to worry about the guide moving while wrapping. If you mess up, acetone will eat thru the superglue or you can buy superglue remover. All you need is a little dab and it doesn't show on the wrap nor the finish. But, alignment is critical. I've also tried heat shrink, but it leave a residue behind.

Posted by: Nick Doben (---.puyallup.k12.wa.us)
Date: November 07, 2005 04:40PM

I normally use very thin pieces of masking tape as Mr. Kirkman wrote. Lately, I've been experimenting with an UHU glue stick. The UHU is not a strong glue. It's just enough to temporarily keep the guide in place while I position the tape properly. You just want an itty-bitty dab on the guide foot before you put it down on the blank.

Posted by: Dave Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 07:38PM

Thanks all, for the variety of suggestions. I think I'm going to "stick" with the elastic thread technique. I don't want to use any glue product for my first paying customer's rod. If the thread doesn't work for me, I'll use the masking tape method that's been working great so far. It's just that single foot guides don't have much space on them for tape.

BTW, he doesn't know that he won't be paying for the rod! It'll be payback/ future favor kind of payment. But it's still my first real client!

Posted by: Tom Erickson (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 08:27PM

I have a auto body repair supply store near me. They carry tape down to 1/8" and even thinner I think. They also carry other things like scotch bright, etc. Just look in the yellow pages under auto body repair.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 09, 2005 08:53AM

I use automobile pin-stripe masking tape in 1/8 & 1/4 in. widths. The two rolls I have cost $6.99 each if I remember correctly and were 60 yd. rolls. In 7 or 8 years I've used maybe 1/2 of each one. As I was told by a man who paints hot rods (cars), pin-stripeing tape leaves no adhesive residue on the paint. Nor on rod blank finishes (gloss & matte), I've found. I get my rolls of Emory cloth, 80 - 400 grit, to sand cork on the lathe at the same place. Tom E. said where. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.sleh.com)
Date: November 09, 2005 01:25PM

I have posted on this several times, but I cannot recommend strongly enough the Flex Coat guide foot adhesive. I would never have tried this stuff in a million years but Roger Seiders was kind enough to give me a stick at a Guild conclave once five or six years ago. I am still using the same stick and it is by far the best method I have tried for single foot guides...especially the 5s and 6s I routinely apply to the small tip sections of light weight fly and spinning rods (by small I mean size 4 tiptop tube).

I simply warm the guide foot with a cigarette lighter for a few seconds (hold it above the flame to keep the soot off), swipe the guide foot on the end of the glue stick, stick the guide on the blank and hold it in place for maybe a second. Unlike the superglue mentioned above the guides are still very easy to position / align after they are wrapped as long as your thread tension is appropriate. Doesn't take much glue and one of the only ways to mess it up is to use too much.

Using this method probably cuts my wrapping time in half...I couldn't live without it. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster