I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

high build , low build? what do I use?
Posted by: Trevor Doylend (---.gv.shawcable.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 08:53PM

I'm building a light weight fly rod and I want to keep the wrap coats thin. what are the differences between the ls supreme and the high build ls? or the flex coat lite and the flex coat high build?
thanks T

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high build , low build? what do I use?
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 09:17PM

i have had the best results with the flex coat lite. flows better and works very well with my manual turning method. i get very smooth wraps. usually requires two applications but worth the effort i think. i apply it with a spatula cut from a fake plastic credit card (plenty of those come in the mail). i cut it about a milimeter smaller than my wrap width.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 10:17PM

If you want to keep the finish as thin as possible, I would suggest you use multiple coats of Permagloss. This stuff is thinner than lite build, in addition to being harder and in my opinion a better adhesive. If you want to go the epoxy route, what Larry has suggested with the fake credit card (aka a Mike Barkley Doctor Knife -if you ever worked in the coating technology industry) works great also. I have used both and have been pleased with both.

Good luck.

Ed Smith

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.253.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 10:44PM

i've only used flex coat's lite build and high build so cannot comment on anything else at this point but i can easily get thin coats with both. i mean, i haven't measured either, but using the same credit card technique larry mentioned, i apply two thin coats each and they both come out similarly.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Aaron Sappenfield (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 11:26PM

i always use flexcoat lite for AT LEAST my first coat. It seems to soak in better as it is thinner. runs around the guide foot and threads better than the high build does on the first coat. as far as hardness in epoxy, i don't really want an epoxy that dries super hard. Hard epoxies crack and chip easier than epoxy's that will bend with the rod but will still hold solid as concrete. just my opinion

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.3.94.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 08:20AM

I would start with the light finishes. You can get several different types . They are sold in small containers so you can and should try several.
Flex Coat the last time I used it found it to turn yellow quite quickly.
Epoxy finishes are easy to use.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 09:26AM

The choice between low build and high build finishes is not as important to me as the application technique. A light coat is possible with either. I have been able to progress from two coatings of low build to one coating of high build with equally good results. I presently use LS high build and I can get the coverage I want over small guides as well as a bit heavier coverge over decorative inlays with a single application. Once you become accustom to a finish you can get the results you need using the experience acquired. My advice would be to choose one that works best for you and learn to apply it well.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Kyle Caldwell (---.lkwnny.adelphia.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 11:31AM

Trevor,
You can get good results with all of the products mentioned above as long as you take your time and understand the properties of each individual product. Its seems to me that they all do different things. Flex Coat lite seems so self level itself without too much build up, whereas the regular flex coat is good for building up a good amount of epoxy on the wraps. Permagloss is also very good, its much thinner than either flex coat product so it requires more than 1 or 2 applications. For me personally I get the best results by using more than just one of the products. Often times ill use the perma gloss as the first coat to get out all the air that resides by the guide feet and to seal the threads. Then ill go with 1 or 2 coats of the flex coat lite to build up the epoxy and to seal off the area where the guide foot turns into the shank of the guide leading to the ring. Finally I'll add more coats of perma gloss until im happy with everything. Then I go fishing. Its my belief that you wind up with a better end result with more light coats than with one or two heavy coats, but to each his own.
Best Regards,
Kyle

Posted by: Nick Doben (---.puyallup.k12.wa.us)
Date: November 08, 2005 03:11PM

A related question... I've finished my first spiral butt wrap. It's an "open" wrap. The blank is not totally covered by thread. I did quite well with the wrap. Lined up, nice and straight, vibrant color. I've put one coat of "regular" Flex Coat epoxy finish on it. It all looks pretty good to me. But, the epoxy is not thick enough to make a smooth surface around the wrap. The thread sits up higher than the surface of the finish. My question is.. is this non-smooth surface a no-no in the wrapping business? Is it considered incomplete, or somehow less than it should be. Frankly, I like it the way it is. But, when I make a rod for a customer, should I go for the smooth surface? Thanks

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.115.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 04:04PM

there are many more experienced than i and i hope to hear from them in this post but personally that thin coat where you see and fel the thread is just the first half of what i apply. it would seem to me the finish is too thin at those points and could wear through somehow. not sure HOW, but i personally prefer a smooth finish and would put at least one more thin coat on. see? you CAN get a thin coat with the regular high build stuff. there are many personal approaches to rod building and this might be one, but i wonder about the structural integrity and protection for the thread.

eric
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster