I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Well, i got my first blank...
Posted by: Nicholas Christie (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 04:20AM

Well, I have been reading and have been posting, so finally I got enough money to buy a blank. This is the one that I am buying, 2 PC 6 FT E-GLASS ULTRALITE SPIN ROD BLANK 2-6 LBS. it might be a bad one, but I got it for 10$, so I think that it will work. Know do I have to buy guides and all that good stuff?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2005 04:24AM by Nicholas Christie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Well, i got my first blank...
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: November 06, 2005 07:45AM

You'll need guides, thread, epoxy finish (FC, LS Supreme, Glass coat, etc.), epoxy adhesive (Rod Bond), cork or EVA for grips, a reel seat, and the number of a good therapist.

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 06, 2005 08:06AM

hello nicholas when you get your epoxy there is many to choose from there are too types one for your cork and reel seat wich is usually called rod builders epoxy and another for your guides wraps wich is called finish............if you can and with your parents try too see if you can find a builder in your area that might be able to help you a little guidance can go a long way ...............tight wraps crabtree's custom rods

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.82.78.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 10:42AM

Nicholas, where are you located? Also, your email addy is hidden. If you go to your control panel and change that, you might get some more help.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: November 06, 2005 02:05PM

Yeah, you never know some thread or a little Rod Bond or something might accidentally end up in you mailbox. You think we want to wait forever to find out how you like you rod and the your experiences building it?

Date: November 06, 2005 03:09PM

Troutterminator@hotmail.com is my email, and I live in folsom, and my zip is 95630. thanks for the help, I couldn’t figure how to show it, so I just posted it. Also, where could I get some guides, thread, epoxy finish and some cork or EVA for grips, a reel seat? I just got paid for working for my grandparents, and I am ready to get busy!
Thank you so much for the help guys and gals!
Tight lines,

-Nicholas Christie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2005 07:03PM by Nicholas Christie.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 06, 2005 03:51PM

Hi Nicholas,

I would suggest that you invest $15 in "Rodbuilding Guide" by Tom Kirkman. It is a great book with over 100 pix that will walk you step by step through the whole process of building a rod. It is available from most vendors to the left. I would also go to mudhole (on the left) and request a free catalog. They have a great 100 page catalog so that you can see just what is available. Any of the dealers to the left are good. Read through the librarry and FAQ pages at the top.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions that you have, we will all be glad to help you.

Click on MY CONTROL CENTER at the top of the messages and click EDIT EMAIL SETTINGS and enter you e-mail address and check CONFIRM That way when someone clicks on your name in a post, they will be able to see your e-mail address.

Mike

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 04:21PM

Hi Nicholas,
I live in Sacramento about 20 min. from you and there is another beginning builder that I have worked with who also
lives in Folsom. His name in Rich and I sent him this page so maybe he will also email you.
Send me an email or give mw a call ! I would be happy to assist and might even have some components
that you are welcome to for your first build. Also, my Dad had built me a wooden rod jig that I am no longer using and I
am sure he would be proud of me to pass it along to another builder who could get some more use from it!
I would be happy to introduce myself to your parents so they would not worry about anything.
Looking forward to meeting you sometime.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: November 06, 2005 04:47PM

Hey Nicholas,
I failed to tell you that you made a great choice in rod blanks for your first project. You will get a lot of use out of it at Folsom
Lake and Lake Natoma near your house you lucky dog! LOL. Did you hear about the new State Record rainbow caught in
Lake Natoma on Oct. 4th? It was 27lb.'s plus!
Glass can take more abuse than graphite and a although smaller blanks have their own challenges being small in diameter,
it will take less time, use less guides, thread, finish, etc.. Being 2 piece it will also require less room at your bench, table or
whatever, to build.

Raymond Adams

Date: November 06, 2005 05:48PM

Spencer,
I am sure you ment well and I would not be surprised if you have already packaged something up to send to
Nicholas for use on his first project. We all would be happy to see another builder on this ship we call the world!
However, I would caution you and anyone else, not to suggest to any "young" person to post exact contact information
such as their complete address or phone # on any public forum. Unfortunately, even this forum is visited by some
unsavory individuals and scoundrals and everyone must be warry! Adults and especially young people!

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: November 06, 2005 06:46PM

I surely didn't intend that, I was just trying help the lad out when he started asking questions to decrease post space and get things in the background where that would not happen.

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 07:06PM

Hi Nicholas,

My name is Rich and I'd be happy to help you get started. I live very close to you and between Raymond and myself, you'll have no problem building your first rod. Raymond taught me a lot and he is very good, not only as a rod builder but as an instructor. Send me an e-mail at richbet98@sbcglobal.net.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, Ca.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.235.204.238.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 07:09PM

Well Nicholas,There you have it. On your way in building your first fishing rod.Isn't it great when a plan comes together?? Wouldn't you say that the people on this board are great ??
Also remember your first rod is going to be a memory moment so take lots of pictures and start a photo alblum.Always remember to take pictures of each rod you build.It's always fun to look back and see how far you have come,but then again there are thoes rods you would like not to remember too.Right guys and gales ???
Boy!! What luck to have lakes and a fellow rod builder right at your door step, talk about a dream come true. Have you planed out what colors you'll be using??
So good luck and let us know how things turn out. <<<<DON AT HOBBY RODS>>>>

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 07:55PM

Nick,With the wife in New Orleans helping with the recovery effort I feel I can do the world one good to be sending you a copy of Tom`s book.I ended up with 2 copies and was wondering what to do with the other.The craft you have chosen will keep you in contact with fishing even when conditions dont permit a trip the water.In fact i started as a winter builder to keep the flame hot through the cold months and continue to build throughout the year!!!!You already got the first step right by finding this board and introducing yourself.A little note though is not to ever post any personal info in a public forum due to some shady people.unhide your e-mail that way you can control who gets your info.I`ve done a lot of research for a project and progam I am putting on in my town and the facts are starteling as to how young people get taken advantage of.Do yourself and favor and edit your post toremove you r address and let people contact you by e-mail.Yuo dont want a stranger showing up at your door.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: November 06, 2005 09:07PM

Nicholas,
I see you have unblocked your email address. Great! Now edit your post with your house address and deleat your house #
and street name. You had edited your top post so I don't need to explain how to do that.

Also, the Fishermans Warehouse on Folsom Bl. and also the one in Rocklin has some thread,epoxi,finish,and handle sets
if you don't want to order and wait for parts! You will find more components at the Rocklin store as the guy who used to handle
that part of the business at the Folsom Bl. store moved to the Rocklin store. Niether store carries a lot but they do have some.

Rich,
Thanks for the compliment posted on the forum!

Fred,
I had already sent Nicholas an email with what you said but I am glad you posted too!

Spencer,
I hope you did not take offence as I didn't mean any.

Raymond Adams

Date: November 07, 2005 07:56PM

Just changed my post, thanks guys and gals. Yea, I have Friday off, and i think that it will get here Wednesday, so when it does arrive, I am going to get some money, and go buy all of the things I need to finish it. And I do have a digital camera, so i will keep all of you posted on it. I have been reading back and it says that you need to have a gloss, the one I read up on it, and I forget what it was called, but it leveled out when it dried, so you don’t have to spin it. Also, if I want a cork handle, do I have to put it on the seat myself? And if I do, how do it? And how do I know if the guides are the right size? And do bigger guides mean more or less cast-ability, also, are there ways to make it so that it is strong, but it has more give to it? One last thing, why do you put 2 coats of gloss on the rod? Thanks for the bombardment of questions, I am just really pumped about starting to build my own rods, but one last question, do I need like a station to start building them? Like a workbench? If so, where can I get one? Does wild sports or some place like that sell them? Also, how do I put Graphics into a rod? Like put the starts and stripes into my reel seat, and or my rod?
Thank you so much,

-Nicholas Christie

Date: November 07, 2005 08:32PM

Hi Nicholas,
You do not need a bench or anything like that to build your rod. The easiest way is to cut 2 "V" notches into a box and just lay
the rod blank across it. Then put a spool of thread into a small cup and rest the cup and a telephone book on a table or chair
or something with the box between you and the thread. Now just run the thread through the middle of the phone book and close
the book this will provide the tention on the thread while you wrap it onto the rod blank.

Before starting to wrap the thread you have to glue on the handle set. That includes the rear grip then the reel seat then the foregrip
attached one after the another with all pieces joined together when done.

You really need to get some one on one instruction and or read some materials like Tom Kirkman's book and Doc Ski's video
before you order any componants and other materials. It's very easy to order the wrong stuff the first go round if you are not 100%
on what you want to do and what you need to do it!

I have Dale Clemen's books but not Tom's ( yet! ) and I also have Doc Ski's video. You can borrow them if your parents approve and
I also would injoy helping you get started. I can bring the books and video over and show you some pointers or If you rather come to my house we can do it that way. What ever is more comfortable for you and your parents.

Rich Matranga also live near you and has emailed you did you see it?

Hope to here from you again!

Raymond Adams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster