I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

bamboo rod ferrule size
Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: November 03, 2005 05:24PM

How do I determine the right size for a replacement ferrule on a bamboo rod? The female ferrule that I removed has an inside diameter on the portion that goes on the blank of 11/64 (0.175") ; the inside diameter of the portion that receives the male ferrule is 13/64 (0.20").

Thanks,

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bamboo rod ferrule size
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.att.net)
Date: November 03, 2005 07:31PM

that sounds like a swiss ferrul. the proper way to size it is the distance accross the flats of the section of rod that goes inside the female at the ferrul tabs. that should be 11/64. just to be sure i would call the boys at GOLDEN WITCH. you might even mail them your ferrul set and they can match it with the proper size ferrul. the proper length is also important. some rods had "truncated" (short) ferruls and some had regular ferruls. lots of combinations. if you have not done this before be aware that the male slide on a new set of ferruls will have to be lapped to fit the female.
big pain. you will have to do this. what is the reason you are replacing the ferrul?

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.146.41.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: November 04, 2005 04:34AM

Sounds like it is a steped ferrule. No longer easily available. You may have to go to a straight ferrule... look at the bamboo and measure the ferrule station on each piece..

Golden witch is a good starting place... Russ will tell you right quick if he has it, or what he can do to help ya.

The key is to measure what you have now, the bamboo cut.

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: November 04, 2005 09:05AM

if the female recepticle that takes the male slide is larger than the blank it is on it can't be a stepped ferrul. at least that is not the proper term to use. step DOWN ferruls have a straight tube where the female opening is the same size as the blank. the male slide then STEPS DOWN 2/64. these were found on old south bends, montegues. leonards and edwards rods and many others. it really sounds like jim has a swiss ferrul. at any rate, sending the ferruls to GW will get the job done. they have a wide selection of ferruls including restoration step downs if that is what jim needs. by the way, if a rod came with step down ferruls changing to a swiss style will change the action of the rod since a swiss is stiffer than a step down. this creates a flat spot at the ferrul. the other problem changing from step down to swiss is the ferrul station on the blank has been cut with a step down to accomodate the smaller male slide and the swiss will leave a space that has to be filled or you have to cut the butt down which is undesireable. jims description, that the female opening that takes the male is LARGER than the blank leads me to believe this is a swiss ferrul. in this configuration the male is straight and not stepped down. the OD of the male is then about 2/64 larger than the blank due to the thickness of the walls of the ferrul.

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: November 04, 2005 02:05PM

I called Golden Witch and spoke to Don. He told me in about three seconds that I needed a size 11 straight ferrule; all he wanted to know was the grade desired.

They are such great people to deal with!

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster