I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can a Fuji hood and nut be disassembled?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2005 04:57PM

With the hood and nut removed from a Fuji reel seat, it looks like the nut portion just snaps into the hood. Is there any way to disassemble the two or is it a one way deal for lfe? I know Bill Boettcher masks off the hood when painting the nut but I'd like to remove it to paint it if that's possible

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a Fuji hood and nut be disassembled?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: November 03, 2005 05:14PM

The metal is held on by being pressed into the graphite underneath. I tried removing this on a seat - it ain't happening unless there is a secret I don't know about. THat metal is even tough to cut with a hacksaw.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.3.122.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 03, 2005 05:48PM

Just mask it off, life is easyer that way. You may not get it back on or if it does it may not hold.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 03, 2005 08:00PM

I've been taking them apart for years and mixing and matching hoods and trim rings, etc.

This is hard to explain in text - photos in the magazine would be easier, but here goes. Take the nut/hood off and flip it around. Screw the nut up on the seat barrel but leave the hood sticking off the open end. Wrap a rag or cloth around the hood and grasp it inside/outside with a pair of pliers. Pull straight off and it will just pop off without damaging anything.

To reinstall - set the hood down on a flat surface. Put the nut on top and face it with a wood block or something hard and flat. Press straight down and the nut will pop into the hood, good as new.

The hood on the seat itself used to be easy to get off, but the newer "pipe" seats are more difficult. You have to rock the hood enough to gain some opening at the forward end of the seat. From there, you insert a screw driver and work it around to get the hood moving. I made a "tool" that looks like a scissor type thing with two metal flats that I can then get into the opening and tap with a hammer to remove the hood. Once you get it moving it's a snap. The trick is getting it started without damaging that hood or the seat barrel.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: November 03, 2005 08:08PM

I only did one and when I put it back together it did not feel right.Did not want the nut to seperate from the hood when taking a reel off. So now I just mask them off.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2005 09:07PM

You explained it well enough Tom, popped it off perfectly! Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster