I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

surf rod
Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 01, 2005 05:45PM

Referring to the ARRA 1204 posted below, I decided to go with the FUJI MNSG's. Using 50# PowerPro on a Van Staal 250 ( no shock leader) what is the smallest guide size that you think I should use (considering I am building in NEW CONCEPT. I was thinking of going with 40 - 25 - 16 - 12 - 12 - 12 - 12 and a 12 tip. Do you think I could get away with size 10s for the last four guides and then a 10 tip? I'll try a 30 as the stripping guide, but I usually get line slap when test casting with less than a 40. Help, please. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: surf rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 01, 2005 05:49PM

If you set the rod up according to the New Guide Concept Primer on the library page here, it will tell you what size guides to use and where to put them.

With no shock leader knot involved, you can go pretty small on the running guides - mostly likely 10's or maybe even 8's will be fine. I'd try it both ways.

What is the diameter of your reel spool? I'd try to stay with a guide ring that is at least half as large. This isn't always going to put you in the perfect range, all things considered, but it's a good place to start.

Whatever you do, don't pre-select your guide sizes and ask the line path to conform to them. Instead, choose the proper line path and then conform the guide sizes and placement to that.

Posted by: Aurthur Mercer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 01, 2005 08:18PM

If the line you use is less than about 17 lb then size 10 guides will be fine for your final ones. I use them with 12 and 14 lb mono and they work fine.

Posted by: Jud Tussing (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2005 08:29PM

I would use a 30 stripper if you're using braid exclusively. I built a allstar 1265/2 (very similar blank) and used a 30 stripper, then 20, 16, and 12 out. If you're fishing places that get weedy, then you'll want at least 12's to ensure that the guides don't get fouled with mung. Also, I used single foot running guides which saves a lot of weight and, to my mind, really makes the rod balance nicely. This is obviously a high end project, you might consider using titanium framed guides--it'll cost you an extra $50, but you never have to worry about corrosion!

Posted by: Mark Kieras (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 02, 2005 06:42AM

I use a similar set-up to what you initially described. I like to go down to 10's for the last guides and use a 12 tip.

I fish with braid on my reels and run the braid to a barrel swivel and then a leader ~3-5ft to a snap so i dont have any knots running through the guides.

I have experimented with both 30's and 40's as the stripper guide and I think the 40's work better with reels like the VS200/250 and the Penn 704/706's and the big Daiwa Emblems. The 30's are fine with the newer style long casting spools on smaller reels.

I usually end up with the stripper guide 32-38 inches from the center of the reel seat.

I use (mostly the alconites) in 40-25-16-10's out to a 12 tip and have been very happy with this setup.

I have used 30-20-12-10's out to a 12 tip and found that to be good as well with smaller reels.

Mark

Date: November 02, 2005 07:34AM

Thank you all for the great advice! The VS spool is about 80mm so I will probably go with the 40 stripping guide as that is half the diameter. I decided to upgrade a little to the ICMNSG's which are titanium plated since they don't make (or at least have available) a titanium frame MNSG. Thanks for helping me narrow down my order as it is difficult to order a whole lot of the titanium guides @$18-25 a pop. I like the idea of the 10's out to a 12 tip. I will let the ROD tell me what it needs and go from there. You guys are great!

Scott

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 02, 2005 08:28AM

Order inexpensive Ã…lconites or Hardloys in all the sizes and use those for setting up the system properly. Then when you know what sizes you actually need, go back and order the exact models of the more expensive guides you'll be using. Keep the inexpensive guide set for set up purposes. Think of them as a necessary "tool" to have in your rod building shop.

Date: November 02, 2005 04:50PM

Tom,
Having an inexpensive set of guides for set up is the perfect solution. That was one of those..."hmm...why didn't I think of that!" I guess that's what this forum is for. Thanks again, Tom.

Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster