I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

pet rod replacement
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.ras02.mia01.dial.cogentco.com)
Date: November 01, 2005 02:38PM

I built a Gatti 9' 9wt. TA two years ago and loved it. It was light, powerful, and cast for distance better than any other rod I've used. Today it broke when it shouldn't have.
I had heard the Gatti TA's are fragile but I've only broken two rods in over 50 years of fishing so I tried one. I'm still glad I did, but I'll not build another right now.

I fish the flats of the Mosquito Lagoon and the Indian River and I'm looking for another 9' 9wt.

Can anyone recommend a blank which will come close to the performance of the TA but is more durable?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pet rod replacement
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 01, 2005 02:56PM

If the rod is two years old, it's most likely you were the cause of breakage. A some point, it got hit, bumped, etc., - rods do not suddenly become defective nor suddenly become fragile after two years of use. Remember, the damage may have been done previous to the actual failure.

There are plenty of rods out there that will match or exceed the performance of the TA but I'm afraid that none will be exactly indestructible. Higher levels of performance all come about from materials and design - lighter material, thinner walls, etc., equal a less substantial structure that is more prone to failure from impact or abuse.

I'm sure you'll get various responses and hope you find a suitable replacement, but all might possibly fail for the same reason that the Gatti did.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: November 01, 2005 03:19PM

I would recommend the St Croix Legend or SCV in the 9' 9wt. I have two and love them! I've hd no problem with breakage but I won't go so far as to say they're very durable. I try to baby them as much as I can. I don't think they'll fall apart on you but smacking them with a clouser or dropping one on jetty rocks would probably spell the end I'd guess.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: November 01, 2005 04:12PM

Definately check out the Dan Craft FT's....Light and powerful.

Terrific blanks...

Keith

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: November 01, 2005 04:23PM

Blanks breaking isn't the end of the world. If that is what you like, then that's what you should build. What does "when it shouldn't have" mean? How often did you use this rod?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 01, 2005 05:14PM

By all means send it back to Gatti just to let them have a look. If they should deem it defective (always a chance) they'll probably send you another.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.ras02.mia01.dial.cogentco.com)
Date: November 01, 2005 08:20PM

The rod broke cleanly like it was sawed in half in the middle of the tip section just above a single foot guide. It broke during a "water-haul." I used it perhaps three times a week year-round. I was hoping to get a response from a builder who posted about two years ago that he regretfully gave up on the Gatti TA's after breaking two of them. His experience and admiration for the blank's performance seem similar to mine.

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 01, 2005 08:28PM

I don't think you could have used the rod three times a week for two years and it have been defective in any way. A clean break like that sounds like impact to me. Something hit that rod to fracture it. Had it been defective or fragile it would have broken in the first few uses IMO.

I have owned one Gatti fly rod and did't like it but not for any breakage reason. It just didn't appeal to me and what I like in a fly rod. But I didn't find the rod to be fragile or at least not any more so than other makes I own and use.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2005 12:23AM

Phil,
The rod I recently built for my sister broke clean just as you described how your Gatti broke. This was the first time she used it!
She told me after it broke that both of her rods had a door shut on them when they slid into the crack between the door and
frame. (dog chasing cat while she was gone!) The rods were stored behind the door. The guys on the river were really razing
me about the "rods I build" until she explained the prior damage that she and I had not even seen on the rod blank. There were
no noticeable marks or cracks when she found them lying in the door frame so she assumed they were alright! that is until she
put the rod under a good load and CRACK! It was in two pieces and I was floored! That was a nice rod with a beautiful "hearts"
butt wrap. The photo of that rod is posted in the photo section of this board. (unbroken of course)
Do you use a rod case? Is it possible something happen inadvertently? I hate to say it but sounds like user error to me so don't
give up on that blank Mfr. yet. Especially if you liked it so much to begin with.

My 2 cents!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2005 12:26AM by Raymond_Adams.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster