I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

IM6 7-piece imported blanks from Dan Craft
Posted by: Tim Connell (---.onspeed.com)
Date: November 01, 2005 01:59PM

I'm thinking of trying out one of the imported IM6 7-piece blanks that Dan Craft are selling - does anyone have any experience of / comments on them? The price seems really keen and they must be half decent if Dan Craft are selling them!!! Any info. or suggestions for alternative 7-piece blanks would be much appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: IM6 7-piece imported blanks from Dan Craft
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: November 01, 2005 02:21PM

Not a bad blank for the money. Wouldn't use it as my primary rod if I flyfished alot, but makes a very good backup rod to save a fishing day. Have built at least one of each weight.

Date: November 01, 2005 04:46PM

Thanks Spencer!

I wasn't thinking of using it as my main weapon, I've got my Loomis IMX's for that!!! A few people have asked me to build them "Smuggler" type rods and the selection of 7-piece blanks seems a bit limited. Figured it would be a useful rod to keep in the truck as a spare or to take on holiday without the girlfriend noticing!!!

The blanks appear to be rated as 4/5, 5/6 and 6/7 - do you find they fish better with the lighter or heavier weight line?

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.att.net)
Date: November 01, 2005 05:27PM

i built one of the 4/5 rods by dropping the two butt sections and making it a short 5 piece. makes a real nice pack rod although a seven piece would take up no more space than the five. i find it works best with the 5 wt and would probably work well with a six at short distances. somewhat stiff.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tx-dallas0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: November 01, 2005 05:59PM

As Larry said, they tend to fish best in the upper weight range. Built one of the 6/7 as a steelhead spinning travel rod and it worked pretty well till the customer fell with it with his full weight and blew it out at the second section to the butt just above the male ferrule's insertion length.
Had the rear grip and reelseat on the butt, the foregrip over the thread wrapped second section.
As a keep behind the seat travel/pack rod they would work great as I think the tube I put them in was like 18 inches long. They are nowhere as nice as your as your IMX, understandably a little heavier than your used to but they get the job done nicely.

Posted by: Dan L Craft (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: November 01, 2005 06:03PM

Tim,

I am sorry to say that we were unable to continue with the off shore supplier of those IM6 7pc blanks.
We will be offering the new FTLs in 6pc if that helps. You might check around, a few of my customers may still have some un -built blanks laying around. You might also try Hook and Hackle as he bought from me.

Dan Craft
Dan Craft Enterprises
Five Rivers Rod Blanks

Date: November 01, 2005 06:43PM

Thanks guys for all your input - it would appear to be a bit academic now!!!

Your 6-piece FLT's sound like peachy alternative, Dan. I've heard great things about your blanks (especially on this forum) and I'm sure they would offer infinitely better performance in relation to the imported 7-piece blanks. When will they be available, roughly how much will they cost, and can you ship to the U.K.?

Tim.

P.S. Will they also be satin gray

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: November 01, 2005 09:32PM

in looking at a 9 foot 4weight FT, i noticed the blanks doameter, especially the butt section, is quite large compared to most rodsin that size range i've worked with. will the new FTLs be smilar in diameters? just curious. thanks.

eric
fresno, ca.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2005 09:34PM by eric zamora.

Posted by: Dan L Craft (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: November 03, 2005 02:31AM

The FTL blanks will be lighter in color, slimmer taper and a little softer action.
We will have 8'0" 5 and 6pc 3wts in stock in about 3 weeks and 9'0" 6pc 4 and 5wts shortly after that.
We hope to hold the prices in the same range as the FTs and shipping to the UK is no problem.

Dan Craft
Dan Craft Enterprises

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster