I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Base for rattan reel seat insert
Posted by: John Lavretta (---.att.net)
Date: November 01, 2005 01:18PM

I have a glass fly rod with a butt diameter too large for a wood or even a cork insert and I want to avoid using an all metal reel seat. I have decided to use rattan and have experimented sucessfully with a thin arbor of masking tape under the rattan.

I am concerned however that eventually water will migrate pass the rattan finish to the tape and cause the rattan/ tape bond to fail. I have considered coating the tape with something like permagloss before I install the rattan with wood glue, or possibly using fiberglass drywall tape.

Before I go ahead with the final construction I was hoiping to get some thoughts from the board. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Base for rattan reel seat insert
Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: November 01, 2005 03:44PM

Unless you need an arbor I would try contact cement or perhaps rodbond to glue the rattan directly to the blank. If you put the rattan in boiling water, turn off the heat, and let it soak for an hour it will get very soft. Use rubber bands to hold it in place after it is spiraled on. Wind on your contrast thread and coat with poly. I have done one reel seat with rattan, but it was over cork. It is a very slick surface for a reel foot to sit on.

Re: Base for rattan reel seat insert
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2005 12:34AM

Try using a skeleton seat without the insert and leave the blank exposed!
I did this on a much heavier casting rod and it works and looks great so far.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster