I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NEW Arra 1204 surf
Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 31, 2005 08:35PM

I just picked up the new Arra 1204 (XRA1204) which is rated to 4oz. Which FUJI guides would you put on it? Let's say that the cost of the guide is not a factor, in fact I want the best of the best on this rod. I will fish mostly wooden plugs between 1 and 3oz from sandy beaches and I use braided line. I am familiar with the New Concept guide system and would like to use it for this rod. I looked at the CLCSG but the largest ring size is a 20. Seems like those guides are not meant for plug fishing based on my research on this site. Please let me know what you think. I value and thank you for your input.

Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NEW Arra 1204 surf
Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.dhcp.scrm.ca.charter.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 08:45PM

spinning or casting rod?

Date: October 31, 2005 08:50PM

sorry, this is a spinning rod.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 09:44PM

What reel?.... Just keep in mind you don't really need to have the HUGE # 50 or 40H, as a gathering guide on 10 ft surf rods with modern lines...I set my XRA 1084 (different animal) with a # 25 gathering guide (Fuji Ti coated SIC's...not cheap) ...it works quite well. Take a look at the fuji LC's "surf system" information with a # 20 gathering guide and adapt
from there on shorter surf rods....do a test casting based on your style of "aggressive/or less aggressive" casting style. ie..... " do you cast towards Europe, or the fish?"...I'm just one of the folks that beleve that toning things down a notch improves overall rod performance on the surffishing scene......others will say I'm dead wrong.

Posted by: russ blanchard (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 31, 2005 10:09PM

Scott,
What reel are you planning on using on this rod?

I agree with Mike in taking a look at the LC' s and the "Surf System". You could also go with a "MN" setup with either a 25 or 20 gathering guide.

Date: October 31, 2005 10:24PM

I will have a VS 250 or 150 on that rod. I'll probably use the 250 and use the 150 on my 1084. I was leaning toward the LC's but I didn't know if the size 20 would be too small.

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.dhcp.scrm.ca.charter.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 11:41PM

i have seen quite a few surf rods with the low rider guides on them. also if using braid you can get away with a smaller guide.i don't think i would go much smaller than a 25 though.i have a penn 706z on my rainshadow with a 40 and it wore the finish off the blank from the mono slaping on it.i wasn't planning on using that large of a reel when i built my rod but it was on sale for like 80 bucks so i brought it home.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 01, 2005 12:33AM

I agree with your choice to use the Fuji Concept System for this spinning rod. I'd first determine the layout that proves most effective (using inexpensive Hardloys) and then find the best guides (lightest/strongest/smoothest rings/ best heat dissipation) that are made in the sizes that fit your layout. I would guess that an optimal layout with lower grade guides will surpass the performance of even the best guides in a compromised layout.
Dave

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: November 01, 2005 09:11AM

The 10' rods are too short for teh LC20, as it needs to be in the 40-48" range from the reel. With a wide VS250, you'll end up putting the guide about 45" from the seat, I'll assume you have about a 20" butt length - that puts teh first guide 65" from teh base of the rod, and 60" from the tip. It will probably work, but I do't think that's ideal for fish sighting. I'd look into the MN frames starting with size 25 or 30 (buy both, test cast) and working down to a size 12, or whatever you plan on dropping to. Keep in mind if any shocker knots will pass teh guides, you'll want larger size guides, if you fish ALWAYS with a 3' mono leader, you could probably go down to size 8 guides without a problem.

When I did the Arra 1321, I used a couple of LC's for their hight, then switched to MN's towards the tip as I didn' tlike the length of the feet on teh LC's out there. The guy I built it for absolutely loves how it casts, and even better - loves that I used an extra guide or 2 and the rod bends teh way it's supposed to with a fish on. It took me & him 2 casting sessions to get teh guides right, and I did a couple of sessions on my own.

Don't be afraid to spend time figuring out what works best FOR YOU. Try different guide combo's in different spots, and MAKE SURE you keep notes WHILE you are doing it. Yes, it sound slike overkill, adn isn't neccesary to get teh rod to work - but why have a $1000 set up which doesn't perform as well as it could had you spent a few more hours getting it just right. On the flip side, most people could care less, adn are happy with anything as loong as it casts good enough. The extra hours tehy could spend perfecting it, could be used fishing, and I totally understand that perspective as well.

FOR YOU is the key here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster