I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Replacement guides for long-cast surf rod
Posted by: George Mock (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 09:44AM

I need to replace the guides on an 11'6" surf spinning rod that I have. The rod is a Breakaway blank and sold by Cabela's. The insert in the gathering guide has cracked and the flex coat (or whatever it is) is flaking off most of the guide feet.

The rod casts very well with the current guide size and placement so I'm probably going to just replicate what's already on there but I am open to suggestions.

The gathering guide that's currently on the rod is a high-bridge size 50 and then it works its way down to a size 12 tip top. So, my question is, what make and model of guides would work well in this application? This is a surf rod that's used for throwing 6oz. plus bait so I need strength but I also need light weight.

Suggestions and recommendations would be appreciated.

George

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Replacement guides for long-cast surf rod
Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 31, 2005 07:00PM

George,

I wanted to email you directly but your address is unlisted. I am in the process of ordering guides for that same blank which I recently bought from Andy Dear (LamarReelSeats). I have decided to builid it for a conventional casting reel in a spiral layout. It is a great blank and will serve exceptionally well in either spin or baitcasting mode.

I have always trusted Fuji Guides over all contenders; especially the SIC ringed models. I have been assured by very knowledgable builders that Fuji Alconites will also perform well and at a fraction of the cost of the SIC's. The problem is finding a 50mm ring in either the SIC or Alconite version. I don't see any listed in the catalogs of the Sponsors of this Forum. Perhaps they have some laying around if they are no longer being produced. I have one on a factory G.Loomis 122S rod so I know they were manufactured at some point.

They are defiinitely available in the Hardloy line from Fuji. I have read mixed reviews of the durability of Hardloy in Surf applications and I have no experience to share on the matter. The prices for Hardloys are much lower than the SIC's.

The Fuji Titanium Frame / SIC guides are probably the finest you wil ever need for the job, but they come with a high cost and a limit of 30mm ring size. Large size tips are also not available.

For my own project I have decided to take a chance with the American Tackle Titanium Nitride Guides with the Zirconium Rings coated with Titanium Nitride. They cost less than the Fuji Titanium/SIC's and they are available are available up to size 50mm. The many color choices in this line will definitley add visual appeal to your refurbished rod.

I chose to go with the all silver color. I plan to match it with a silver Accurate reel to make one very classy looking high performance surf caster.

No matter which guides you chose it is alwasy vital to give the gear a thorough rinse immediately after every outing. I like to wash the rod in warm soap and water and dry it. a light coat of (non silicone) furniture polish prevents anything sticking to it. Then, with care in transport and storage, the rod and reel should provide many years of great service.

Have fun making the decisions and doing the refurbishing. I hope I was of some help to you.

Dave

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2005 07:35PM

If that is the 1418 11' 6" 3-6OZ Blank I built two and have used Fuji hardaloys on Both starting with a 50. Those hardaloys work fine and I use Braid,
NO Problems

Posted by: russ blanchard (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 31, 2005 10:23PM

George,
Really no need to use the 50 mm guide on that rod.(that guide alone weighs as much as the rest of the set). Thats pretty much old school.( Unless your using a reel like a Penn 704 and heavy mono). Most have gone the ways of Fuji concepts. How about setting it up with the BMNAG guides and start with a 40 if you feel the need of a larger ring?

Posted by: George Mock (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 01, 2005 12:56PM

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. You guys have been a lot of help.

Yeah, the 50mm guide is the toughy. I've used the alocnite BMNAG guides on three conventional surf sticks and I'm very pleased with them. I think they'd work just fine but they only go up to 40mm. I could just start with the 40mm instead of the 50mm but this is my go-to rod I use in surf tourneys and sometimes casting distance is a huge factor in who catches the most fish. I'd hate to cut down my distance because of the smaller guide.

Again, thanks for the help

George

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster