I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sharpie on Epoxy
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: October 31, 2005 09:42AM

I'm looking to color epoxy on finished wraps with a magic marker. The Permanent Sharpie will color it, but once epoxy is applied it is no longer Permanant. I've tried spraying Krylon Matte Clear over it, then applying epoxy over that - this worked on one rod, by the other looks horrible once I took it out into the sun, it seemed like the epoxy fisheyed - maybe I didn't wait long enough to apply epoxy. There was also a cloudy look to it, which is from probabyl spraying too much .

Just wondering if anyone has a method that works the same way each time. Coloring the epoxy is not an option, since I'm looking for a solid color which is transparant - and the times I tried coloring/tinting the epoxy I had to either add a lot of epoxy to get the look I wanted, the color wasn't uniform over a long area (12"), and I cannot get the right color.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sharpie on Epoxy
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 10:43AM

I have messed with the Krylon to paint blanks and reel seats and know that its behavior when covering with finish is totally wierd. When using LS you have to wait almost 10 days before topping or it will smear and fish eye. Glass Coat and Flex Coat Hi Build can be applied in about 5 days if the Krylon is left in the sun light to dry. I have an idea that the composition of the carriers in the finishes may be different - some "hotter" than others". I started topping the Krylon color base with top coat clear automotive finish and let it cure before applying finish. This is probably not the best solution to getting opaque looking colors on top of thread. You never mentioned which color you were messing with - if it is red I worked yesterday with a pigment to make - "your suggestion" the Flames on the Tailpipe of the Jeff Gordon rod that worked. I used a metallic blue underwrap and flamed with Glass Coat almost set with a boat repair kit red pigment that I had. The tailpipe sticks out about 1.5 inches from the center of the black vinyl butt cap and I can assure you it will be left there by the proud owner and not cut off!! What a sight. It is on the turner now - will take a picture and post when done.

By the way your post about getting glue all over the place made me laugh this morning - I was outside putting some Bright Blue Colored Flock on several sets of split grips. Went inside to get a cup of coffee and when I went back out the door a squirrel had jumped up on the table and was running around in the card board box that had adhesive and loose flock on the bottom When that bright blue flocked squirrel took off running with blue legs flying all the dogs and mocking birds in the neighborhood took off after the "Blue Streak".

Gon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2005 12:22PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.tci.com)
Date: November 01, 2005 10:27AM

Hey Bill,
What a site!! Made my day!

Interesting delema Billy

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Gerald Guinn (---.knology.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 09:21PM

Billy

I spent the last hour typing in a solution to your problem and then lost it because I couldn't get past the login.

give ma a call at 256 8817004. I can talk faster than I can type.

Jerry Guinn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster