I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

burnout
Posted by: michael staggs (---.pns.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:56PM

Have Built onehundred thirthy custom rods for shop i work since january. out of wraps and ideas . time to go fishing. any one else have this problem. and what do you do .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: burnout
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 29, 2005 11:27PM

Building rods on such a scale is more along the lines of production work - it stifles the creative process and often leads to burnout as you mention. Women are far better at doing repetitive tasks without being affected. Men can't do that type of work and not be affected. Lest you think is a sexist statement, there is a scientific reason why women are preferred by companies who employ workers involved in repetitive tasks.

It has been my experience that in the long run, the builders who enjoy themselves the most are those who build fewer rods but spend more time being creative with new techniques and ideas on those that they do build. That may not be possible for you if you rely on a salary or something from a shop for your livelihood. Still, what you need is some variety instead of just doing the same old repetitive work day in and day out.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 07:14AM

Michael...you say your in "burnout" mode as far a wraps and ideas. What I used to do is go to other tackle shops with custom rods and "borrow" color combo , wrap, and handle ideas. With winter approaching make sure you attend any fishing expos near you. That also helps...."time to go fishing" is the best thing to do.

I'll take a guess that you have a "real job" also, and you just got a case of "color/creative"burnout. If you continue a 3-6 rods per week pace over the course of several years bringing your total into the thousands AND have a real job...you run the risk of "spontanious aggrevational burnoutism"...a malady that occurs mostly with males (lol) with symptoms of 1) complete indifference to rodbuilding 2) hatred toward the fisherman you build for (going out of your way so they can fish while you aren't) 3) extreme overtiredness......try not to get to this point.

Always remember that family and friends come first, and NEVER stop fishing.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 07:37AM

Go to a nice " warm " state and go fishing !!

Get a few customers that will tell you " I want to put it on the wall and not even use it it is so nice " thing. Much better to hear this.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: October 30, 2005 12:02PM

Michael - Adopt a Newbie from the RBO Board and watch someone's mind light up with wonder when you turn them on to some of your little tricks and revelations. That'll shake you out of some of the boredom, ...IMO. Good luck, -Cliff Hall+++ ... As Dan Hogan is fond of reminding us: The best way to have a friend, is to be one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2005 12:07PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Bill Swift (---.snlo.dialup.fix.net)
Date: October 30, 2005 12:08PM

Yep, I know what you mean. I hit "bottom" mid summer this year!! Quite a few orders but, same ole thing. Between trying new things that I either do not like or, repeat customers wanting "two more just like the first one", maybe I am just boored. So what am I complaining about??

Three problems contributing to my burnout:

1. Repeat customer (five or six bass rods) keeps tearing up one rod after the other and expecting me to replace them or repair them for almost nothing. Finally told him to find someone else. Not a happy day or hour in the ole shop.

2. Local business who has been one of my best customers (cash on the spot for rods, no consignments) just called and wanted me to take back 4 special order rods and replace with rods 2 ft longer. I put his business name on them and his comment was......"Can't you just wrap over my name and sell them somewhere else?" This gets worse. He sold one of my rods to a customer. The customer wanted a 14 inch rear grip in eva foam replaced with cork. He took he customer's money and told him that would be no problem. He forot to discuss the added charge or even if I would do it with the customer.

3. A coworker who has purchased 3 rods from me dropped on off at the shop for repair of a broken rod tip. The rod was left in the drop off area, leaning against a stucco wall, (scraping the top 3 guides) bent almost double from the weight of a reel (still attached) that is at least 3 times bigger and heavier that the recmmended size and line test for the rod. "Yep, I don't know what happened but I hooked into a big one and the tip broke". This is a cash paying customer...........

Just about had it for a while. Think I will take the advise from Mr. Boettcher and remember the times I have had that comment from a customer. Good luck.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 12:23PM

Sounds like maybe becoming more of a " hard " buisness man is in order.
Building the rods you like - it's the people that do those stupid things

Plus a lot of fishing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster