I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Taking "dent" out of EVA - Any ideas?
Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 02:20PM

A few eva grips (6-8) that I have have been "dented" from the pressure of other items resting against the material for a prolonged period of time. One, for example, had a edge of a lid to a cardboard box pressed aginst it and now has a diagonal narrow crease or furrow indenting the grip. The grips are not installed and are loose.

I have already tried soaking them in water for a few minutes then nuking them in the microwave oven, and soaking them in hot water and trying to stretch the dent out. Some of the dent still remains.

Any ideas on how to get the eva to assume their original shape? I am probably just going to throw them away if I cannot get them back into shape....

Lou

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Taking "dent" out of EVA - Any ideas?
Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 03:53PM

Lou, A heat gun will take the dents out, maybe a hairdryer, don't know for sure. If you don't have one I have one here in the shop you are welcome to use. Jesse

Date: October 29, 2005 04:20PM

Hi Jesse. Thanks for the idea. I never though about uisng a heat gun. I have one and I'll try it on the grips.

Lou

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.45.68.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 04:23PM

Lou, I've always had good luck with wrapping them in a wet washcloth and nuking them into the stone age.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: October 30, 2005 06:54AM

Hi, Lou - Keep the EVA wet while you boil / nuke it. I don't think dry heat is gonna get it.

Maybe roll the EVA in 2 inches deep of boiled water on the stove. Then wrap the EVA in the wet washcloth, like McComesky said, right after you have re-soaked them in the boiled water. Don't let them cool down too much. Then "NUKE 'EM into the stone age."

In fact, ADD a couple of drops of CLEAR dishwashing detergent into the boiled water when you first start out. If the detergent makes too much bubbling over, change the water and try adding a few ounces of 70% IsoPropyl Alcohol to a half-pot of boiled fresh water without the soap. Either the detergent or the alcohol will help the water penetrate into the foam better. (Don't use the soap and the alcohol together in the same pot of water, because the alcohol will lessen the surfactant action of the detergent).

Getting some water deep enough into the foam to nuke it out will help the foam cells blow out the dent as much if not more than anything else. (Otherwise, that's as good as it's gonna get.) USE TONGS and GLOVES, pal !!!

So, I'm suggesting boiling the EVA in detergent or alcoholic water for 2-5 minutes. Then wrap in a dripping washcloth dipped into the same pot of treated water. Then NUKE ON HIGH for 60 seconds. And see if that does the trick.

The worse that can happen is that they remain as useless to you as you think they are now. Try one grip first (the most expendable one) to make sure that the nuking after the soap or alcohol treament doesn't cause a weird swelling. That EVA foam once cured is dang near indestructible and inert, chemically speaking, so it should be okay.

If that don't work, just put the crease on the underside of a guest rod, or trade them with some CheckerBoard EVA fellow in your area for something else you may need, like line guides or tip-tops. Good luck, -Cliff Hall+++

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2005 07:22AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 07:58AM

If you can not get the dents out cut them out and use the remender as sections for some shorter or custom handles.

Date: October 30, 2005 10:23AM

I tried the dry heat that Jesse suggested and it did remove much of the dent in a couple of grips, very light creasing left. This morning I got a couple more grips and soaked them in water with a bit of soap as suggested. Left wrapped in a wet cloth I nuked them hard. Most of the creases came out too. In both cases a very light and shallow depression was all that left where the crease was. Not perfect, but usuable. I think I'll be able to use some of the grips with this light indentation, just "hide" it at the 180.

Thanks for the suggestions...

Lou

Date: October 30, 2005 10:37AM

Put them on a lath and reshape them. maybe you can shape the dents completely out??

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: October 30, 2005 11:52AM

Lou - Thanks for relaying the good news.
Dry heat, or wet nuking after soaking in boiled soapy water.
Good deal. Happy wrapping, ... -Cliff Hall+++

Date: October 30, 2005 11:56AM

OK don't reshape them.

Posted by: Jim Racela (J.AkuHed) (---.ontr)
Date: October 30, 2005 03:47PM

Soooo how do you take out a dent AFTER the grips are installed?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 30, 2005 04:22PM

Lou - lightly sand the area where teh dent is. I'm talking 220 or 320 grit. The remaining dent is preobably not very deep at al, and the small amount of sanding MIGHT almost make them disappear - by removing the foam around it.

I've "fixed" grips on my own rods in teh past like this, although I wouldn't consider this an ideal remed, as too much sanding will obviously make the grip uneven/too skinnny,

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 30, 2005 05:11PM

I just finished one for a friend who's dog got hold of the grip. I put the rod in my lathe and reshaped it as best I could trying to remove as many tooth marks as possible. There were still several tooth mark dents in the grip. I sealed the reshaped grip with CP and flocked it. Filled the holes with adhesive. The flock material filled the few remaining holes and you would never know his dog had hold of it. I too was pleasantly surprised at the results. It makes a badly damage grip look like new.

Don't let Bill Stevens know this or he will start trying to flock dogs teeth purple and gold. I would hate to see Bill get dog bit.

Ed

Date: October 30, 2005 11:00PM

The shaping and sanding suggested will remove any shallow dents left. I do plan of doing a little sanding on them after the grips are installed. The ones that were too deeply I'll probly cut up for use as mini grips.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions!

Lou

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: October 31, 2005 10:27AM

The dry heat works with the grips installed. Jesse

Date: October 31, 2005 10:38AM

If you install them sand them and then don't like them, then what ?
Maybe sand off the rod just in case ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster