I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best tool for inletting cork handles?
Posted by: Tracy Kennerd (---.bigpipeinc.com)
Date: October 26, 2005 05:13PM

I am turning my own cork handles now but not doing a great job of the inlet for a recessed up-locking reel seat. What is the best tool and technique for the job?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best tool for inletting cork handles?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 26, 2005 05:20PM

Well, there is a special tool for doing this particular task and you can buy it from Rodblanks.com (link to the left in the sponsor column). It works extremely well. There are probably several other things you could also make do with, if you only need to do a few.

Posted by: Joe Barthelt (---.publicisgroupe.com)
Date: October 26, 2005 06:28PM

Tom,

can you tell us what this tool is called? I did a quick look on their site and couldn't find it.

Thanks,
Joe

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.227.249.75.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: October 26, 2005 07:24PM

Tracy,

I like to use a forsner bit of appropriate size (I bought several sizes). I actually line up a cork ring in a special clamp I got from Lamar Reel Seats. Used in conjunction with a drill press, the forsner bit and the clamp provide clean, straight inlets every time.

Hope this helps.

Torin.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 26, 2005 08:12PM

Send and email to BBpontoons@aol.com and tell them you want the tool that inlets cork grips. It has a pilot tube which makes it self centering. It's nice if you need to do a lot of these type grips.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 26, 2005 08:16PM

My only experience is with inletting cork for round hoods. First I center the round hood against the lower end of the grip and press enough to leave an indentation the size of the hood. Then I secure the grip horizontally in my Black & Decker workmate vise. Next I use a dremel tool with a barrel shaped grinding wheel that is smaller in diameter than the hood. The flat end of the barrel shaped grinder is pressed slowly against the butt end of the grip until it reaches slightly deeper than the depth of the hood. Slowly I elongate the hole until I reach the indentations I created by pressing the hood against the cork. At this point I find that the hole is slightly smaller than the hood, requiring that I open the hole just a bit more. Remember to avoid forcing the reel seat hood into grip with a hole that isn't large enough to accommodate it. You may split the grip.

Practice on an old grip, or on a single cork ring secured in a vise before moving on to an expensive cork grip.

Good Luck,
Jeff

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: October 27, 2005 10:59AM

If you wish to purchase your own inletting tools from another source, here it is. Go to Rutland tool.com and search for "Aircraft Counterbores". They come in a variety of sizes. For inletting circular, fixed reel seat hoods on uplocking reel seats, they have sizes from 11/16" up to 7/8" by 32nds. The shank is 1/4" and they have four flutes. You will have to purchase a couple of pilots to match the hole size in the cork. Search under "pilots for counterbores". Since I use mandrels, I have pilots in 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" and 7/16". I also purchased two counterbores - 3/4" and 13/16". The cost on these tools from Rutland in the sizes mentioned will vary from $25 to $30. The pilots vary from $3.25 to $7. I like to use these tools, because they are sharp and I can quickly cut a recess that just fits the depth and diameter of the fixed reel seat.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: Tracy Kennerd (---.bigpipeinc.com)
Date: October 27, 2005 12:09PM

Thank you too all for the very informative replies.

Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.bayou.com)
Date: October 27, 2005 10:58PM

A spade bit for woodboring works well. Even better if you mount a small piece of tubing over the pilot point.

Harry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster