I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sand and buff?
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 25, 2005 05:04PM

Has anyone done any sanding and buffing of rod thread epoxys? Say if you have a piece of dust or whatever and it really doesn't need recoating?......

DR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sand and buff?
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: October 25, 2005 05:47PM

I've done it and if you have the right abrasives, it will look great. I use Micro Mesh for all my sanding. I have a set of none cushioned pads that start at 1500 and progress to 12000. 1500 is equivalent to 400 grit paper, but the 12000 is off the scale somewhere. Keep the pads wet because the stuff can melt. I got my set at Woodcraft in Minneapolis when I was there on vacation. You can mail order it from them or do a search on the net for it.

Date: October 25, 2005 07:02PM

Thanks Jerry,

I tried it in a dust particle this evening. I took 1500, and buffed with 3M's Finesse II turned out wonderful :)

DR

Posted by: Kevin Kresowaty (---.pittpa.adelphia.net)
Date: October 25, 2005 10:05PM

Could you guys please elaborate on the process you are using?

kev

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: October 26, 2005 06:09PM

For me, the trick is being able to have the rod turning while doing this, which means having a lathe of some sort. With the lathe running at it slowest speed, around 500rpm in my case, I first use 1500 Micro Mesh and progess through 1800, 2400, 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000 and 12000. I do this wet, as wet as possible. Wipe down the finish after each grit. By the time you finish with 12000, you will not be able to tell that it was ever sanded, it will shine like glass. But, if you do this to the rod blank itself, you will absolutely see that something was done because you will remove the color - might not show on a grey blank. The Micro Mesh I have is a set of nine cushioned pads that are 2" square. They can be cut down to a smaller size. Micro Mesh is also available in sheet form, but I like the pads. You don't want or need to use a lot of pressure. I suppose you could do this by hand without a lathe, but it would take longer and I've never tried it. Alternatively, you can go to Wally World and get some of the emory board sets in the cosmetics department. If you can find a set that has at least four different abrasives you can probably do the same thing, although those probably don't go as fine as the Micro Mesh.

Does that help?

Date: October 26, 2005 06:10PM

Kevin,

I just took 1500 grit wet/dry sand paper, soaked it in warm water until it curls, wrap a small piece of the 1500 around a popsicle stick, sand out the defect. I then took 3m's Finesse II (available at most body shop paint supply stores) which contains NO silicone or wax applied it to a buff wheel made for a dremel, turned the dremel on low and buffed up the sanded area to a high gloss. Wiped the finness off my face :) and called it a day.

DR

Posted by: Kevin Kesowaty (---.pittpa.adelphia.net)
Date: October 27, 2005 03:10PM

Thanks guys, I might have to gives this as try.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster