I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Smoky finish
Posted by: Mike Anderson (209.64.87.---)
Date: October 25, 2005 02:16PM

The last few rods I have done have had a smoky film in the finish. I notice it while I am applying it so it isn’t coming from a lighter. I use new aluminum foil to mix the finish and a new popsicle stick to mix it. The popsicle stick is the only new thing I am doing so I think it might be the cause. I don’t use CP. Ever seen this?

As I am typing it occurred to me that I used a bic lighter to flame the wraps prior to finishing….. Is this the problem??

The bras tube on my nice MADE IN CHINA alcohol lamp broke after only a few uses. Hey it was cheap so who cares how long it lasts,,, right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Smoky finish
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: October 25, 2005 02:24PM

Propane Torch from home Depot. $15 max.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 04:09PM

Heat gun works great and NO open flames!! About $15

Mike

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: October 25, 2005 04:15PM

I think you must have flicked your BIC a little to close. I always use a lighter and have never had that problem. I would never use a heat gun or anything else that blows air at the finish.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 04:19PM

Gerry,
A heat gun is all I have ever used (very sparingly and usually for removing/repair) and never had any problem with dust, etc. I rarely have a need to use heat on finish but a heat gun is nowhere as "windy" as a hair dryer

Mike

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 25, 2005 04:58PM

It's not the popcycle stick nor the butane lighter (all I've ever used).

There are two likely culprits - first, if you don't fully mix the 2 parts of the epoxy, you will have a slightly cloudy swirl going on in the finish. This could be what you're referring to as a "smoky finish." The second and possible scenario, is that there is enough CO2 and humidity combined to create a bit of a blush in the finish. One of those two is likely your problem.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 05:03PM

Mike I think it is the lighter is some way. When I used bics I had that happen a couple times and it was no fun. I bought a couple plastic Alcohol burners from Anglers Workshop and have NEVER had that problem since. You can still bubble the first coat of finish if you are too agressive but it should clear up any smoking problem. The one I use is plastic and has a small bent metal tube coming out of it that you can use to direct a flame to a specific spot.

Date: October 25, 2005 05:16PM

"I notice it while I am applying it so it isn’t coming from a lighter"

It's cloudy in his mix cup, according to his post. Thus, incomplete mix time or the much more rare blush from a specific concentration of CO2 and humidity.

Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.154.46.9.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: October 25, 2005 07:10PM

Actually I don’t notice it until I put it on the wraps. I mentioned that I flamed the wraps with a bic prior to applying finish so maybe that is where it is coming from. The finish looks fine when it’s on the foil the best I can remember.
I will be sure to mix the required amount of time next time and leave out the Bic lighter. I’ll post the results

I usually only use a flame to burn any thread ends. Or in an extreme case where my finish is flawed and is to far along to use Toms blowing through a straw method which works fantastic BTW. A little heat seems to fix most flaws that I missed before the final inspection.

This last rod I did completely free hand where I usually use scotch tape to get clean lines. Although it isn't as clean as the tape jobs it turned out pretty good. I tried to metal spatula but quickly decided the brush was my better option. I will try the spatula again.

This site has been a tremendous help!!!

Date: October 25, 2005 08:09PM

When you blow through a straw you introduce CO2 to the finish. I know of one builder who was able to track his finish blushing problems to blowing through a straw. I've never used this method, although I know others have and they seem to like it. But keep in mind that it might not be a good idea on days with very high humidity. Separate, CO2 or humidity are no problem. Combined, they can cause a swirly, oiling looking haze in your finish.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 09:01PM

You never mentioned the color of your thread - could it be black - did you use Flexcoat Color Preserver - Will look like the Milky Way in the sunlight with all the little white flecks.

Your post also said "flame the wrap prior to finishing". If you are hitting the thread in order to burn fuzzies or pull through you may not be headed in the right direction from the start. Apply first coat of finish and then trim with very sharp razor blade -

Gon

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 10:46PM

If a Bic (that's all I've EVER used) is passed at the right distance, underneath the wrap, it can introduce sooty, unburned (or incompletely burned) gas/fuel into the finish. Since I started using the lighter to the SIDE of the wrap, this problem hasn't reoccurred.

I always keep it moving, never stopping in any spot. Not a good idea to do with the headband magnifier on... depth perception is really screwed up then.

This won't happen if the lighter is used closer to the rod (underneath) for some reason. The farther away (underneath), the more likely it is to happen.

I've seen it happen as I did it. I could pick up the dark looking sight under the rod and haven't had a problem with a Bic since I started using it to the side over 20 years ago (except when I flick it to light it and the dumb lighter flint gets into the finish-that's another story and another cure...DOHHHHH).

When the lighter is used out in the open, I can't see the soot. But underneath of something, at the right distance, it's visible to me at times.

Not saying this is what happened in your case, Mike, it might be the CO2/humidity, but it could have been.

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster