I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

single foot guides on 6wt.
Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: October 25, 2005 10:06AM

Would it be ok to put Recoil or any single foot guides on a 9ft., 6wt. rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: single foot guides on 6wt.
Posted by: Tim Hough (170.235.208.---)
Date: October 25, 2005 10:24AM

Sure, why not? Actually, many people here seem to make the jump to ceramics with either 4 or 5 weight rods. $ weight seems to go either way. I personally like single foot wite guides with rods up to 3 weight and move up to snakes (I've got a ton of them) or single foot ceramics with 4 weight or above.
They make the guides big enough, why not give it a try? I've been thinking about it myself but haven't had any "for me" project in that category lately.

IMHO,

Tim

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.metro8.phila.k12.pa.us)
Date: October 25, 2005 10:26AM

Sure, why not? Actually, many people here seem to make the jump to ceramics with either 3, 4 or 5 weight rods. 4 weight seems to go either way. I personally prefer single foot wire guides with rods up to 3 weight and move up to snakes (I've got a ton of them) or single foot ceramics with 4 weight or above.
They make the guides big enough, why not give it a try? I've been thinking about it myself but haven't had any "for me" project in that category lately.

IMHO,

Tim

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 10:42AM

Actually I think of the question the other way: Why would I not use SF (ceramics) for running guides on all rods 3wt and above. Since switching a while back I can't think of a reason why I wouldn't use them. As well as a number of other "tips" such as keep them as small as possible, keep wraps short, use a Forhan or similiar locking wrap, let the blank tell you how many and where (don't be afraid to add more than the "charts" list). The only "downside" I've found is taking fishing time to explain why my rods look funny or that I didn't get confused and used spinning guides on a fly rod. imo, not a downside to get concerned about, the rod's performance on stream/flats does the talking.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 12:53PM

Not only OK, but preferred by many, if not most! Personally, I would gow with SF ceramics for ALL the guides

Mike

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 12:54PM

Not only OK, but preferred by many, if not most! Personally, I would go with SF ceramics for ALL the guides
Mike

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: October 26, 2005 08:44AM

If you're considering using the Recoils, then you're going to spend a fair bit of money anyway. Why not go ahead and get Fuji Titanium/SIC ceramic guides? Granted--they're pricey. However, you'll not find a better, lighter guide anywhere for any amount of money, IMO. An entire set of Titanium/SICs will weigh only the slightest bit more than an entire set of normal snakes.

Also, unless you're planning on using shooting heads, etc., sz. 6 ceramic guides will be plenty large. Just use sz. 6s all the way from the tip to the butt. A sz. 10 or 12 stripper will likely be sufficient. Also, you can just do the strippers with single foot guides--no real reason to have those double foot guides on a rod that size. The normal single foot ceramic guides are so tough that you'd likely break the blank before you'd actually break a guide. Double-foot ceramics are overkill for anything, except for 9-12 wts., IMO. The reason I mention this is that the single foot ceramics are a little cheaper than their double-foot counterparts.

Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: October 26, 2005 09:14AM

Hi Andrew! Thanks for the reply. I'm very new to this hobby/craft. Are you telling me all I need is size 6 guides for the entire length of the rod? That sure will make it easier when I order components. Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster