I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

drilling a hole in wood grips
Posted by: Marcel Charest (---.port.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 24, 2005 05:03PM

Help guys,
I need help i just goofed bad on two wood grips. I have a Jet mini lathe. But how can i drill out my grips with short bed? I have a drill chuck and three jaw chuck. I was drilling them out when my grip snapped in two . Do i have to buy a extension bed???? And my holes were off center a little okay a lotLOL. Thanks Marcel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: drilling a hole in wood grips
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 24, 2005 05:22PM

You would want to chuck the grip into the headstock chuck. You may require a steady rest, several of which are available for the various mini or midi lathes. How long are your grips? You may well require the bed extension.

Drill bits tend to follow the grain and try to avoid hard or highly figured areas. I've done best with pilot point bits from B&D and DeWalt, but any similar type bit will work. These tend to bore straight down the center of the wood rather than deflecting off a bit to one side or the other when encountering hard areas in the wood. Remember to withdraw the bit to clear the wood chips at regular intervals - don't force things. When you feel a difference in how it's boring, withdraw and clear the chips. If the grip gets hot - withdraw the bit and let it cool a bit. It's unusual that you can bore more than a couple inches at a time. In some woods, you'l be lucky to bore an inch before needing to withdraw the bit.

Center boring is a learning experience. I'm sure I've ruined more grips than you during my early days trying to find the best way to do this.

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.145.112.---)
Date: October 24, 2005 05:50PM

I drill 8" blocks that I turn for grips with a short bed Jet. If I were to do a lot of it I would get an extension but here is how I manage.
I find the center of the block to start my drill bit and then mount my rectangular 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" block in my four jaw chuck only fairly snug. I then move the tailstock in place to start drilling while lining up my drill bit with the center I have already marked. Once I have firm contact I finish tightening my four jaw chuck. For this initial drilling I use a short (roughly 5") sharp brad point bit. After reaching the full depth provided by this bit I switch to a 10" sharp brad point bit. In order to use it the tail stock needs to be removed from the bed while the longer bit is inserted and must be reengaged to the bed as the bit is inserted into the hole. This process of removal and reengagement will need to be repeated as often as the hole needs to be cleaned.
This isn't an ideal process but it works with fair accuracy if you run your lathe at its lowest speed, use a sharp brad point bit and clean the hole whenever pressure and heat start to build. A high pitched squeek signals the need for cleaning.
If you are trying to drill a pre existing hole to a larger size it must be done slowly and patiently with frequent cleaning. I don't bother with the lathe in this case I simply install a sharp bit in a hand held chuck and turn by hand. Persistance pays in this case.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: October 24, 2005 07:15PM

I have done a few wood grips and what I have learned is:
1st drill the hole before you turn the handle down, this will keep the thing from cracking and breaking on you.
2nd go slow, it will stay on center better, if you think you are going too slow you are probably about right.
3rd drill it out and then put it on a mandrel if you want things to be concentric.

Tom was right on the clean it out frequently if you don't it is going to bind up on you. I back off and restart about every 1/2 inch or so.

Date: October 24, 2005 07:38PM

Marcel,
Scott's advice is right on the mark!

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: October 24, 2005 08:59PM

Stan,

Whre did you find 10" brad point drill bits?
Stan, also

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 25, 2005 01:54AM

I've found a little bar soap on the bit when you clear the chips helps stop it from heating up a bit.

Any one use Forstner bits?

I use them to to drill out the hood recesses but don't have one small enough to bore out the entire grip. Was thinking about getting a smaller bit and extension and trying it.

Tony

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: October 25, 2005 08:51AM

I got several different size 10" long brad point drills at Woodcraft for what I use myself.

Date: October 25, 2005 09:53AM

Stan
The 10" bits are available in the "Woodcraft" catalog.
Stan

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Date: October 25, 2005 10:03AM

I too use a forstner bit for recess work but don't feel that using an extension in order to drill through 7" or more would work well for accurate boring. In most instances the extension connection would be difficult to true compared to a solid shank bit.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 10:53AM

One trick Stan showed me on getting the mandrel into that tight hole after the drilling is to chuck the mandrel into a drill and slowly turn it while putting it into the drilled hole. Same with removal...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: October 25, 2005 06:38PM

Thanks Mike & Stan for the info on 10" brad point bits at WoodCraft. Just what I was looking for - a set of them was ordered.
I get their catalog but somehow overlooked them.
Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster