I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

IGFA rod construction?
Posted by: George Roth (---.bois.qwest.net)
Date: October 24, 2005 03:47PM

I've been asked about building a number of IGFA trolling rods in the 12 / 20 / 30 / 50 / 80 / & 130# class. I typically build bass rods, but have built a couple salt water rods over the years...a long time ago. The components used with these rods is a little foreign to one familiar with bass rod construction! lol. With the expectations of my client being high...just as it should be...I want to make sure that I do this correctly. Searching the internet failed to turn up very much on the construction of these rods. Can any of you direct me to a source of such information? I'd appreciate any information you'd be willing to share. BTW...I'll have to reseach the back issues of my RodMaker magazines to see if Tom had any articles regarding their construction.

Thanks!

George Roth

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: IGFA rod construction?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 24, 2005 05:16PM

Yes, the volume 5 #6 issue had an article on building line class stand-up rods, complete with the specs required to be admissible if records are to be counted. These would be the same whether you're talking about stand-up or sit-down trolling rods. Pay attention to the maximum rod length behind the reel and the minimum rod length forward of the reel.

Also find out if your client is going to be using the rods from a chair (will need to be longer) or in a stand-up situation (should be shorter). Specifics are in the magazine.

Posted by: John T. White (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 24, 2005 08:22PM

A rod is a rod. Most steps are the same but you have to build these rods a little tougher. Underwrap and double overwrap is the norm for me. use 2 coats of high build finish. Consider how long you want the rod total and trim from the butt to shorten if needed. Keep in mind the length of the unibutt you'll be using. For the 30 pound and up rods I'd use glass instead of graphite. You want ultimate toughness. These rods can take real punishment.

Aftco rollers on the heavier rods. I know the Aftcos are simple in design but that's what makes them so dependable. I think about all the uni-butts are equally good now but I'd stay with the real deal on the guides. On the lighter rods like 20 pound and under, I'd go with Fuji LRSG guides or the new American Tackle Titan Turbos.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2005 06:19AM

It's a "personal thing" for me. I like All American roller guides on everything up to 80lb class rods. I've never built a 130lb class rod but I suspect that might be the 'cross-over' point for AFTCO big foot guides. The Titan Turbo guides or the Fuji guides on the 12's and maybe the 20's as well. The difference might be cosmetics - dependant upon what the customer had in mind for a "set" of rods (color matching to boat or scheme) And I think I'd definitely spiral wrap all the heavier rods.

Posted by: George Roth (---.bois.qwest.net)
Date: October 25, 2005 05:38PM

I appreciate all of your comments. Tom...I'll take a look at that article. I also received an informative email from Jason Alvarado that I tried to paste below, but I can't.

Once, again.......Thanks!

George

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster