I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building a Kenai River Red/Silver salmon rod
Posted by: Rich McColl (---.sccoe.k12.ca.us)
Date: October 21, 2005 11:16AM

Hey All

I'm just now ordering my first rod build kit from Hook and Hackle- a 6 wt fly outfit. Anyway, I have yet to build anything. My Dad is going to his first ever trip to the Kenai area in June and I'd like to make him a spinning rod for the reds that will be there. I don't spin fish at the moment, nor do I have any experience with reds/silvers/steelhead etc. This rod will be a surprise so I can't just ask my dad for advice.

I did search the archive and found a few salmon references but nothing that was exactly what I was looking for came up.

I noticed that a lot of the talk here centers on the rod blank itself, and I do need advice on that. However, can you give my advice on the other components- guides, tips, reel seat, grips etc? Anyone have a "recipe" that works well for the type of fishing?

Thanks!

Rich

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building a Kenai River Red/Silver salmon rod
Posted by: Nick Doben (---.puyallup.k12.wa.us)
Date: October 21, 2005 01:26PM

I fish salmon and steelhead in the lower 48, so my experience is not exactly like the Kenai. But, I am finishing up a new spinning rod for salmon/steelhead. I'm using a Rainshadow IST1265 blank. This is the second rod I have made with this particular blank. 10' 6" Medium/Heavy rating. I like the length because it helps with casting distance and helps me keep the main line off of the water when I'm float fishing or drifting. The length is also great to have when flipping. Howeer, the length can be a problem around overhanging trees, bushes. The blank has good power in the bottom half and has good response in the top half. It has enough muscle to handle 20lb to 25lb fish with ease. I wouldn't feel worried about taking on a 30+ pounder with it. It transmits vibration to the handle quite well. You might consider this blank. But then you might need something a bit stronger for those 40+ pounders up there. :)

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: October 21, 2005 03:08PM

Rich,
We build a rod specifically designed for fishing Reds. These guys are using 7'6" spinning rods rated 12-25 lb. with a lure rating of 1/2-2 oz. They are using shorter rods because of the faster water and there are so many snags that you have to be able to turn those fish quickly. This can't be accomplished with a longer rod.
The blank model is "GLB902ML". This blank isn't in our 2005 catalog but it is available through any of our dealers.

Regards,

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Scott Kinney (69.59.205.---)
Date: October 21, 2005 04:22PM

The Lamiglas guys should know...good product! Every rod I've owned or seen on a Lami blank has been damn near indestructable...

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: October 21, 2005 10:30PM

Scottis right about Lamiglas rods. They are tought.!!! But like any graphite rod they well not take abuse nore shoud any graphite rod be high sticked while fighting or landing a fish they all well fail at one time or another
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 21, 2005 11:27PM

Hi Rich,

On most years, I spend 2 weeks on the Russian and Kenai Rivers, fishing for reds. Many of the fishermen do use short rods, because most are just flipping their drift gear about 6-10 feet out, and muscling the fish in. This can work well, because the sockeye swim up close to the shore. However, often the brighter fish swim further out in the current and cloudier water (The Kenai), so casting can produce better fish.

There is a variety of different water types there, ranging from slow and fast current, to backwater sloughs (up and down the Russian, in the Kenai, below Jims Landing and Bings Landing) and I have found greater enjoyment using the longer rods. The reds are hard fighters that jump alot, and I believe a longer rod, with the longer bending length, absorbs this punishment better, and also tires the fish out quicker.

I have had great success using a 10', medium or medium heavy rod, moderate action, 8-17 lb 1/2-1oz. Personaly, I like Fuji components, and cork grips.

Also, on a side note, I would make sure your dad has about 100 bucktail streamers with him, because it is flies only (on spinning or fly rods) up the mouth of the Russian and for a short length down the Kenai. There is also a hook size requirement, which you can get from the Alaska fish and game web site, Kenai Peninsula regs, (Its best to read this info for yourself) they will also send you regs, if you ask.

And, last but not least, buy him two nice pairs of amber tinted polarized fishing glasses, and one pair of clear safety glasses. Too many people have had hooks in their eyes.

Posted by: Rich McColl (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2005 12:21AM

Thanks for all the info everyone, and also for the PMs as well! I appreciate it.

Posted by: moushka wells (---.gci.net)
Date: October 22, 2005 01:22PM

I live in Alaska and have fished the Kenai River for 19 years. My spinning rods for out of state guests are made from IMX6 blanks - 8 to 17 pound test line and 6' 5". I use an IMX7 8-15 lb rod for myself for both reds and silver salmon. If you stand on the bank and fish 6 to 8 hours straight for reds like I do, you will need a light strong rod. Reds/Sockeye are hard on rods. In combat fishing situations on the Russian or Kenai you do not give salmon a chance to run far! We use 25 lb test rods for King Salmon when fishing out of a boat. Only professional guides use that heavy of a rod cause they and don't want greenhorns breaking their rods! That heavy of a rod will wear you out quickly when flipping for Reds and greatly decrease your fishing pleasure.

In 2004 I caught a 19 lb Silver with my IMX7 8-15 lb rod and in September a 17.5 Silver Salmon. The rod handles them without any problem!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster