I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single foot fly guides ??
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 09:51PM

Hi guys
What would ya all consider the hardest or best material on the single foot fly guides. They are out with all types of coatings ??
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single foot fly guides ??
Posted by: Tim Hough (---.potshe01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 09:55PM

Do you mean just wire like snake guides or frames with ceramic inserts? What weight rod?

Tim

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: October 20, 2005 10:05PM

Single foot wire fly guides or the snaks. They are out in many different platings. Is the hard chrome still the only way to go or are the other platings any better ? Thinking of doing myself a 3 wt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2005 10:07PM by bill boettcher.

Date: October 20, 2005 10:23PM

I'm sure others will disagree (what a country!) but I think good 'ol chrome would be just fine. In general, you won't be booming out 80 foot casts or hooking up with steelhead on a 3 weight, so friction and excessive wear should not be an issue. Chrome can stand up to many years of 14 inch trout and saucer sized bluegills. However, the gold or black coated ones will loose their color on the inside of the loop over time. Keep your line clean and that too should take years. I won't comment on recoil or titanium guides because I have no experience with them. You know this board, I'm sure someone will chime in...

Tight lines,

Tim

Date: October 20, 2005 10:26PM

OOPS! Single foot...less wrapping, but do a locking wrap for insurance.

Tim

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 10:29PM

With all the " pretty " colors that are out I thought I could get pretty and hard at the same time ??

less wraps less weight, better performance, always a locking wrap

Just wondered if any materials are harder then the chrome ??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2005 10:35PM by bill boettcher.

Date: October 20, 2005 10:35PM

I'm currently doing a Spey rod on a blue Batson blank. I'm trying out the blue snake guides. It should look snappy. Mostly, I'm curious to see how well their coloration holds up. Also, I want to try the multicolored (mirage? holographic? I forget the name) ones. They look cool too. I'm just afraid I wouldn't know what color to wrap them with. Is there a thread to match them?

Date: October 20, 2005 10:51PM

Blue ?? LOL Try some test wraps with an extra guide Check the photo page for ideas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2005 10:52PM by bill boettcher.

Date: October 20, 2005 11:41PM

Yes, blue! They match the blank beautifully. I'm going to couple the snakes with black strippers that have blue ceramic incerts. I've already got part my color scheme set for the blue guides, a blue and silver trimar thread with a yet to be determined solid trim wrap. Maybe another blue or perhaps a black...when I get the trimar I'll do some playin' around. I will also be experimenting with my first feather inlay; 4 thin, white/black grizzly hackles at 3,6,9 & 12, wound around the blank 1 turn each. I'm excited to start...just waiting on that darn trimar thread! I just don't know what I would do with those other guides (if I ever get them). They claim to change color as the light hits them. Maybe some pearlescent thread would look nice, that changes with the light (sort of). Oh well, boys with toys...

Tim

Date: October 21, 2005 06:58AM

So what is the hardest material on single foot wire fly guides ????

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: October 21, 2005 11:46AM

There have been some posts on this in the past. I think the RECs are the hardest. Not a coating, though. Tom should know. Don

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: October 21, 2005 12:14PM

I would think Cermet.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: October 21, 2005 01:18PM

I like the REC recoil single foot guides a lot for a light rod like a 3 wt. What I really like is a combo, with about 3 or 4 REC single foots at the top and some sort of ceramic from there down.

Date: October 21, 2005 03:02PM

No one ever mentioned hardness of the coatings on the wire or snake ?
Like these [www.fishpacbay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2005 03:13PM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster