I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guidefoot grinders
Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: October 20, 2005 09:09AM

I saw a hand held guidefoot grinder on this site somewhere. It was about $25. Anybody have any ideas as to how they smooth their guidefeet?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guidefoot grinders
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2005 09:20AM

The biggest drawback to grinding wheels for this job is that unless you're using the better AL or SIC wheels which are "Friable" (particles break away and constantly expose new cutting edges) your grinding wheel will load up with metal particles and lose cutting efficiency. At this point, you really just generate heat and such heat is not good for your guide feet.

A sanding disc is the better way to shape your guide feet. A hard rubber wheel with a disc of about 100 to 110 grit will do wonders for guide feet. They're not very expensive and you can replace the discs in seconds when needed. You can chuck these in a drill or a lathe. Even better, is a sanding belt, but you'll have to buy at least one of the cheaper sanding belt machines and they'll run you aroud $60 to start.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: October 20, 2005 09:43AM

If the ginder holder is what I think it is I have one. It does not work on small guides. I find that cheap sping loaded clamps work much better to hold small guides. I also use a dremel tool for grinding prep.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: October 20, 2005 12:05PM

I have my Dremel tool mounted horizontally in a Dremel table top drill press and use a sanding drum to shape guides, hold them with small Vise-Grip needle nose pliers with masking tape on the jaws.

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: October 20, 2005 12:33PM

I've tried everything - files, dremel (with the diamond and various grinding bits), my grinding wheel (with friable wheels) and they all work well.
But my preference is for a small belt sander 1X30. It is difficult to overgrind, and works quickly. Delta and Harbor Freight sell them for under $50.

My second choice is a Good file. A little bit more of an investment will get you a file that will last years.

Christian

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: October 20, 2005 12:39PM

On those small guides, try this: go to your local hardward store with one of those small guides. Get a plastic bolt and nut to fit into the guide ring. Put it in the guide ring and hold the end of the plastic bolt while grinding the foot. I caught the idea on this site and have been using it very happily since!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 01:41PM

Ditto Randy!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Ryan Wampler (---.hershy01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 01:46PM

I also use the nylon bolt and nut (and sometimes a nylon washer) as mentioned on this site to hold small guides (Lowes has quite an assortment). I use a hand-held dremel tool for grinding and have learned the hard way to wrap the base of the frame in tape to prevent slips from marking the pretty guides!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: October 20, 2005 02:40PM

How long woudl it take you to put 50 of those small guides on that Nylon Bolt contraption? It seems like it would add an extrordinary amount of time to a process which takes too long to begin with.

I tried the slow speed grinder with white wheel - and HATE it. I went the belt sander route, adn am much, much more satisfied & get better results with much less Ooops!! I pressed too hard and fried the guide.

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.145.112.---)
Date: October 20, 2005 05:20PM

Billy,
It takes no more than 20 seconds to mount a size 6 single foot on a nylon bolt even at my advanced years. It will come off just as quick!
Stan Grace

PS..... I don't have to look for as many "fliers" with the bolt arrangement which saves time.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 06:26PM

That would be 40 seconds per guide, not bad - need a qick lock nut. I'd love to see a picture of how this little attachment works. Why even bother with a nut - just press teh guide up to teh lip of the bolt with a fingernail, or even another object wich slips on and off quickly.

I use UN's for most of my smaller guides which my fingenail fits into teh space behind teh double leg behind the eye - and that works good enough, but I think I can see how I could use a bolt to make it a little easier. I have a couple sets of T-LDBSG 6's which were a bit easier to grind since the ring is 45 degrees instead of 9- degrees to teh guide foot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2005 06:27PM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 06:38PM

I use a Dremel with the flexibe shaft handle held in a woodworking vise and the Dremel diamond disc. I also use the small nylon bolts but don't use the nylon nut, but rather just use finger compression against the guide ring. I use an Optivisor to help see what I'm doing.
Stan

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.145.112.---)
Date: October 20, 2005 07:37PM

Billy
I don't use a lock nut.. Just a tight fitting bolt and a finger nail hold as you suggest. The time taken to slip the guide on the bolt is negligible compared to the time gained by having a firm grasp on the guide during the grinding operation.
Stan

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 20, 2005 09:32PM

Ball peen hammer and just pound it till it gets flat! One good lick by a subway rider ought to do the trick! For you Mr. V!

Gon

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 09:47PM

The nylon bolts with the ' recessed " head fit into the ring better then the hex head bolts. More room to grind.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 21, 2005 07:44AM

I'm a Dremel user too, mounted in a table top Workmate with a Dremel cutoff disc mounted in the tool. I hold the guides with the guide holding tool from Mudhole and use the flat side of the cutoff wheel. I also thought that mounting and un-mounting the guide in the tool would slow me down but instead the amount of control that the tool gives me allows the Dremel to run at higher speeds and has cut my grinding time in half. The extra control has also improved the overall "quality" of the taper and finish.

The Mudhole tool works in a similar way to the nut and bolt method.

Posted by: russ blanchard (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 22, 2005 03:06AM

Harbor Freight has or had thir Central Machinery 1"x 30" table top belt sander on sale a couple of weeks ago for $29.99.....................the sale may still be running if anyone is interested?

Date: October 22, 2005 03:06AM

Harbor Freight has or had their Central Machinery 1"x 30" table top belt sander on sale a couple of weeks ago for $29.99.....................the sale may still be running if anyone is interested?

Date: October 22, 2005 03:07AM

sorry for the double post.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster