I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

nano definitions
Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: October 19, 2005 03:43PM

A while back we were having a discussion about how rod companies can use the terms "nano" in their advertising. Today I ran across a publication put out in hopes of making terminology uniform for this field. Thought the first few definitions were interesting because you don't have to build it up atom by atom to call it nano.

It sorta goes along with the idea that "nano" is like another state of matter, liquid, solid, gas, and nano. If the particles are small enough and it is put together right you get different properties.

nanomaterial

material with one or more external dimensions, or an internal structure, on the nanoscale, which could exhibit novel characteristics compared to the same material without nanoscale features
NOTE Novel characteristics might include increased strength, chemical reactivity or conductivity.
[PAS 71 Steering Group]
PAS 71:2005 2 © BSI 25 May 2005

nanoparticle

particle with one or more dimensions at the nanoscale
[PAS 71 Steering Group]
NOTE 1 Also referred to as nanoparticulate, although this term is more often used adjectivally.
NOTE 2 Novel properties that differentiate nanoparticles from the bulk material are typically developed at a critical length scale of under 100 nm.

nanoscale

having one or more dimensions of the order of 100 nm or less
NOTE Also referred to as nanosize.
[PAS 71 Steering Group]

nanoscience

study of phenomena and manipulation of materials at atomic, molecular and macromolecular scales, where properties differ significantly from those at a larger scale
[Nanoscience and nanotechnologies [1]]

nanostructured

having a structure at the nanoscale
NOTE Agglomerates and aggregates of nanoparticles are examples of nanostructured particles.
[PAS 71 Steering Group]

nanotechnology

design, characterization, production and application of structures, devices and systems by controlling shape and size at the nanoscale
[Nanoscience and nanotechnologies [

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: nano definitions
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: October 19, 2005 04:26PM

Nano-Nano - Greetings in Ork-uguese, lol.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 19, 2005 04:38PM

Exactly. In fact, I recently learned from my printer that RodMaker Magazine is actually being printed on European paper made with nano-technology. Same for the inks used in the color sections. I guess I could say it's now a rod building magazine published with the use of nano-technology. How's that for a cutting edge publication!

Of course, it's a bit outside the bounds of how I would personally use the term.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2005 04:58PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: October 19, 2005 07:14PM

ORIGINALLY, the term NANO was used in science to as a PRE-FIX to denote a certain level of subdivison of a "UNIT of MEASURE" as a part of the Metric System, either CGS (centimeter - gram - second), or MKS (meter -kilgram -second). It is usually expressed in exponential notation: "10 to the minus 9 power". It is applicable to any of the 3 fundamental units of Mass-Length-Time (MLT). Even intangible electromagnetic properties like V=IR and magnetic field strengths can be reduced to these fundamental M-L-T units.

DECI = ONE-TENTH = 10-EXP(-1)
CENTI = ONE-HUNDREDTH = 10-EXP(-2)
MILLI = ONE-THOUSANDTH = 10-EXP(-3)
MICRO = ONE-MILLIONTH = 10-EXP(-6)
NANO = ONE-BILLIONTH = 10-EXP(-9)
PICO = ONE-TRILLIONTH = 10-EXP(-12)
FEMPTO = ONE-QUADRILLIONTH = 10-EXP(-15)

DECA = 10 times = decaliter
KILO = 1,000 times = kilogram
MEGA = 1,000,000 = mega-Hertz
GIGA = 1,000,000,000 = Gigabyte

A bacteria is about 1-10 MICROMETERS
Wavelengths PHOTONS of visible light are about 280-650 NANOMETERS.
ATOMS are about 0.10 to 0.50 NANOMETERS (ANGSTROMS = 0.1 NM)

Therefore NANO-TECHNOLOGY implies an approach which literally concerns itself with reducing particle sizes to below 1 micrometer or how to manuveur matter at the atomic and molecular level. -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA+++

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2005 09:15PM

I thought it defined the new ipod.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 19, 2005 09:37PM

I think my head just exploded!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 19, 2005 09:42PM

Nanothreadartology!!!!...people still wouldn't pay for it. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2005 09:49PM by Michael Joyce.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 19, 2005 10:23PM

Go, N.E.R.B.'s!!!!

Mike

Posted by: Tom Erickson (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: October 22, 2005 05:55PM

na-na-na-nano

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster