I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spline position
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2005 12:26PM

When I find the splin I have a "soft" side. I build 7' to 8' popping rode and use level wind reels.
Does the "soft side go up or down and why? Would it make sense that it depends on the ability of the user to load the rod?
Then there is the fact that like most of my bay wader friend we remove all the centrifical brakes to get a really free spinning spool. We control or casts with an "educated thunb" by placing the thumb on the reel frame and spool similtanously. This places the reel at more of an angle near 45 degrees ( the level wind reel is not level at all (or paralel to the ground). So the question is, do I
place the spline at an angle that is in line with the flight of the lure and end up with left and right handed rods? thanks in advance for all your input and reasonong This forum is a wonderfull thing for people like myself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spline position
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 19, 2005 02:07PM

There is no correct position for the spine to be oriented in. The difference in the amount of weight or effort to load the rod between the softest axis and the stiffest (and these two won't be directly opposite each other) is almost insignificant - only about .2 on the CCS scale.

What you want to do is mock up a rod and try casting it with the spine on top, on bottom and then at 90 degrees (in the casting plane). See how the different positions feel to you and decide how you want to do things. Again, there is no wrong or right way to orient the spine on a fishing rod.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2005 03:40PM

Doug,
I strongly agree with Tom K. on this! The rules that I first learned about spine (spline) orientation and the importance
there of are from the "old school". I was very surprised when I test casted several different rods with several different
spine orientations and discovered just how little (if any) influence the spine had on performance! Granted, some blanks
have a stronger spine effect than others so as Tom said, test cast yours until you are satisfied with your results.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Dave Lester (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: October 19, 2005 04:05PM

So, building the rod on spline orientation is a big myth? Is it more important to take the curve of the rod into consideration? I've built rods on the soft side and on the spline, and on the curve, and don't notice advantage. But I'm a fisherman, what do I know! ;o)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 19, 2005 04:40PM

The idea that there is a correct or incorrect orientation for the spine is indeed a myth, but where you locate the spine can make some subtle differences in how the blank acts and/or feels to the user. This is why I tell people to spend a few minutes and try things for themselves and then make up their minds how they want to build the rod.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: October 21, 2005 08:04AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

maybe this will help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster