I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building Sage TCR 590-4
Posted by: Janusz Jablonowski (193.109.212.---)
Date: October 19, 2005 05:39AM

Hello Everybody!

I'm new here and already with a problem :) I don't have any experience in rod building, though I heard that it's possible to decrease the weight of the rod using a limited wrappings and coating, lightweight reel seat, etc.

I'm not going to do it myslef, but rather to collect your suggestions and follow them to experienced rod builder here in Poland, and eventually, be able to evaluate his job.

I have a blank of Sage TCR 590-4 and I would like to construct a purely distance casting rod.
I would like to decrease the weight of the original rod (3,3/8oz), and maintain the very fast recovery rate (lightweight guides and wrappings), smoothen the cork grip nearby the reel seat, instead of half wells, rather a cigar, which is easier to hold, and allows holding the rod as close the reel seat as possible. Finally - put a downlock reel seat, which suits the best my current casting style. Uplock system limits a wrist movement and shortens the effective lenght of the rod.

The wrappings should be very durable, because of powerfull and fast hauling of the line, which happens to be not the cleanest. The guides should be very durable and thin. The rest is not so important, or rather, I don't see its importance yet :)

Any help very much appreciated. If you have some experiences or suggestions - I'd be grateful for them.

Regards,
Janusz

PS. When the rod is finished, I can submit its CCS data plus other of my rods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building Sage TCR 590-4
Posted by: Mike Nicolle (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: October 19, 2005 08:50AM

Hi Janusz,

There is several things you can do to lighten the rod and make it lighter than a stock rod, Titanium single foot guides, shorten the grip as much as possible, I'm not sure who builds the lightest reel seats, but I'm sure that there is some one on this board could fill in that blank for you.
Have a great day,
Mike Nicolle
Columbia Custom Rod and Tackle
cell 503-396-2876

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2005 09:05AM by Mike Nicolle.

Posted by: Alan Gasior (217.13.181.---)
Date: October 19, 2005 12:11PM

Janusz,

Keeping the rod as light as possible would be a nice rod building exercise although it makes no sense imho. I had never noticed a difference in recovery when using heavier guides.

If I was trying this I would use:
A cigar grip - this is a good choice for a 5wt rod
Recoil single foot guides with ground feet as the original ones are slightly longer than necessary
Sliding band reel seat with cork insert
Permagloss (or similar) instead of epoxy finish

Alan

Date: October 20, 2005 02:05AM

Thank you very much,

Alan,

Sliding band reel seat with cork insert - as far as I recall these are suggested to very lightweight rods - mfg rated 2-4. Do you have any particular models in mind, which would be durable?

Janusz

Date: October 20, 2005 02:07AM

Thank you very much,

Alan,

Sliding band reel seat with cork insert - as far as I recall these are suggested to very lightweight rods - mfg rated 2-4. Do you have any particular models in mind, which would be durable?

Janusz

Posted by: Alan Gasior (217.13.181.---)
Date: October 20, 2005 11:25AM

Janusz,

Yes, they are recommended for using on light rods but they would do fine on heavier rods as well.
Check [www.mind.net] - a sliding band on a 8wt (cool project, by the way)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster