I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Slick Butts and other things
Posted by: jeff miller (---.chi.megapath.net)
Date: October 18, 2005 10:47AM

Building a rod using all Forecast components, except maybe slick but. Blank is an SPG843 gloss black with a .587 butt. My question is how to build up the blank for a slick butt. The smallest I.D. slick butt I could find was 15/16 to 1.0.

I will be using either the silver/blue or black/blue Alum. saltwater reel seats and using guides with the blue Zirconium rings and Alum gimbal to match reel seat hoods. Still not sure if I will use the black or silver guide and reel seat, but leaning towards silver.By the way I plan to Spiral wrap.

So another question how close in color are the blue rings, seat hoods and gimbal? I'm guessing all but the rings are the same, at least I hope.

Last question is thread color, looking at catalogs and web sites seems my best match would be in Cobalt Blue (Gudebrod) or maybe Royal Blue HT Metallic also Gudebrod. If I I go nylon will use NCP and probably put a Med. Gray tag on.

Any thoughts on color scheme?

Thanks for the help
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Slick Butts and other things
Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 18, 2005 11:32AM

Jeff,
The gimbal and reel seat should match almost perfectly but the guide rings will be off a tad. You won't notice it though because they are far enough away from the reel seat. I built one with the blue rings on black framed boat guide and used the Aftco ice blue reel seat (which is a lighter shade) and it looks fine. Color combinations are endless and entirely up to you but I frequently use royal blue metallic with glitzy gold and they go together very well.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.143.217.50.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: October 18, 2005 11:39AM

Installation of Slick Butts was just discussed the other day. Here is the link:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: October 18, 2005 01:51PM

Jeff, I was the one that posted the other day. I am going to do it just as I have mentioned in my post. glue a long piece of EVA foam to the rod and then shape it to fit the various parts. IE: Gimble, Slick Butt, Reel seat. Glue all of it with rod bond. Because EVA shapes so easily Personall I feel this will do best. Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster