I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Titan failure?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: October 23, 2005 01:43PM

There are also a lot of things that can be sprayed onto the rod and guides that helps guide ice up. One is that Spam. A search should come up with more.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 23, 2005 02:47PM

Bil,

SPAm would make a pretty messy guide, although I understand PAM works well! LOL!

Date: October 23, 2005 02:59PM

Sorry about that, did not check the spelling.
It would taste good though ??!!

Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: October 24, 2005 04:26AM

Yeah the shrinking theory makes sence especially if the ring shrank more in comparison to the frame. This would for sure brake the bond between the adhesive and the ring. Practically it is the same phenomena but just to the other direction that we use to unsecure eg a reel seat by heating it up.

I've heard good things about Recoils in a winter fishing rod. If I recall right they claim that they would not collect ice buildup so easily.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2005 04:28AM by Mikko Stenberg.

Date: October 24, 2005 08:07AM

For the weight maybe even saltwater heavy single foot wire of a larger ring size. No ring to pull out if it ices up, and possibly get a little more ware out of them.

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.dhcp.scrm.ca.charter.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 03:12AM

one of my rings came out of one of my titan guides yesterday..this happened while on the river in 70 degree weather.i was snagged on a rock i straightened my rod and cranked down on the handle thumbed my spool and popped my 12 lb. mono.like i have done every time i was snagged. while doing this one ring popped out along with flatening most all of the single foot titans all the way to the tip.

Date: October 25, 2005 08:23AM

Flatening ??? You mean the guides bent and flatened out ?? That don't sound right ?
I always try to snap my line to get unstuck

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 26, 2005 10:39PM

It would be rare that a ceramic ring would expand/contract very much in the normal range of temperatures on this planet. This is one reason why ceramics make such good insulators.

Most likely, if rings are coming out of frames, it's poor adhesive or faulty construction at the factory.

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.dhcp.scrm.ca.charter.com)
Date: October 27, 2005 02:27AM

all the single size 7 and 6's layed down almost touching the blank.

Posted by: Sakari Siipilehto (---.ms.tut.fi)
Date: October 31, 2005 10:56AM

Normal stainless steels have about the same or higher thermal expansion coefficient than normal titanium alloys. This means that from temperature change's point of view titanium + ceramic ring should be more stable than SS + ceramics. Ceramics have a lot smaller thermal expansion coefficient than either titanium or SS.

Cheers,
Sakari

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 03, 2006 01:10PM

Gentlemen - I realize that this Thread is as cold as ... an ice glacier, but I was doing some research on the Titans, it brought me back to this report. I don't know why this did not occur to me back in October, but I was only marginally interested in this Thread to begin with.

ANYWAY, we all know that WATER EXPANDS when it FREEZES and forms ICE. And we all know that that power of expansion can readily crack BOULDERS, never mind low-mass ceramic toroidal rings. If any teeny weeny GAP between the metal frame and the NanoLite ring allowed WATER to enter that gap, and it became ICE, it is no surprise to me that the ice could overpower the ring glue and cause the guide ring to POP out: on ANY brand of line guide, using any ceramic insert ring, regardless of the insert material, the frame material or the manufacturer. I have not examined any Titan rings at close range, but the gap could be invisible to the naked eye and still let water enter the gap. Since the ceramic is so incompressible, the ring could pop OUT rather than change shape, like the metal frame may tolerate.

I suspect that this failure has far more to do with the actual and very unique fishing conditions than any short-coming of the product on the part of the manufacturer. I don't know if this occurred that day of fishing, but keeping the rod tip out of the water in freezing weather would certainly help keep ice from forming between the guide ring and the guide frame.

FURTHERMORE, I am not saying that ICE formation inside a gap is what caused this failure, but it is an educated guess that I thought was still worth posting. ... Since I now live in Florida, I only rarely fish in freezing weather any more, and have no recent experience with ice on my line guides.

And, also, as Denis said, if the ice had actually frozen the fly line to the line guide, the fact that his rings were being pulled out is also testimony to how powerful an encasement ice can form once it crystallizes. It may only take a few seconds, if the wind is right, and the water & air are cold enough, and the cast is forceful enough. ... IMO, ... -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2006 01:53PM by Cliff Hall.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster