I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drying box heat unit
Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: October 17, 2005 02:22PM

Question for you builders, I am building a drying box for my rods after the wrap coating. I use LS Supreme. The box is 7 foot long x 12" square. I have read that a short stretch of heat tape running through eye bolts could be used to heat the box in conjunction with a dimmer switch to keep the temp at a constant temp between 85 and 90 degrees. Also in another article I have read that a person could use a length of christmas tree bulbs, the large type to do the same thing. I would like some input as to what some of you have done out there. Or is there another solution. Thanks Galen Briese

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drying box heat unit
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: October 17, 2005 03:25PM

Search for Halogen undercabinet lights.

Posted by: Matt Davis (66.228.246.---)
Date: October 17, 2005 06:54PM

I have a pair of 2-bulb undercabinet halogen light fixtures. They each have a switch that is OFF/HI/LOW. Both are wired to a roller switch and then plugged into a timer. My box is in the basement and even in the cold Minnesota winters I can hit 90 degrees in my box without any problem. In the summer I can hit the 100's. I started out with only 1 fixture then moved to 2. It didn't really change my high end temp, just the speed at which it can reach its max.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: October 17, 2005 08:33PM

The only heated box that I have seen was at a seminar. A fellow from Amarillo, Texas had it at the show. If I remember, the box was 12"X12" and was lined with the type of insulation that is used on air conditioning ducts. In other words, aluminum foil. His heat source was a string of clear Christmas light bulbs, the large ones. The front of the box was made from clear plastic on hinges. The heat source was about six inches from the rod. The length of the box was long enough to accomodate a seven foot rod. The finish on his rods were very good.

Date: October 18, 2005 09:43AM

I purchased a halogen light fixture last night at menards, it has three bulbs and is 20 inches long, I will try this out for a start. Thanks Galen

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: October 18, 2005 10:00AM

Galen, that is exactly what I used, and Matt is the one who directed me to them a few years back. My box is a little bit bigger than yours, 12x12x 14' long, I have 4 of them in there. My box is not insulated at all, it is 1/4" thick plywood with a 7' Plexiglas door, and another 7' plywood door. I can get the heat to rise in the box between 20-30 degrees. in about 2 hours - perfect for getting epoxy to dry tack free quickly.

Date: October 18, 2005 04:05PM

Billy, I probably need to put two of the fixtures in there. I have shelving material for the sides and bottom, the pressed wood composite stuff, it was painted on both sides, and I intend to use a plexiglass lid on the top, I can take the box apart , the front is just latched in and the plexiglass will just cover it like a lid on a pot. I have mine rigged on the one end with a motor and v belt pulley and shaft with the coupler inside the box, the sewing machine motor is variable speed, controlled by a ceiling fan rheostat, and I will be able to apply finish at high speed, and slow down to dry. With the price of heating fuel this year It is hard to justify heating the house to 70 plus degrees to dry a rod, and also it should cut down on the dust, lint , etc that sometimes seems to show up. I have about 100.00 in the whole unit, I hope it works. Thanks for the help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster