I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Friday Follies-guide alignment
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 14, 2005 07:39PM

Nothing worse than giving someone a rod and the guides are misaligned with the real seat...its happened to me before and is quite embarassing.

My method of building a rod is to assemble the handle with the reel seat aligned with an appropriate "spine" alignment..then do the guide wraps and fancy stuff.

I align the guides by "line of site" with a reel mounted in the reel seat. Adjust some guides, check...adjust, check etc..untill its right. Thats how I do it.

What happens if the reel isn't mounted 100% perfect? Guides end up being out of whack!!! Since this has happened to me before, and didn't like the reprocussions...I always remount the reel 3 times and check, before applying finish...I have a few old spinning reels that I cut up just to use the foot and stem to make things easier for alignment.....align three times, finish once.

Theres two tips hidden here for any new builders that are paying attention to "Friday Follies." (hope it helps you avoid my own pitfalls)

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Friday Follies-guide alignment
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 14, 2005 07:53PM

I use an old Tiburon one piece frame. Also line of sight and also multiple times. Once I am satisfied doing it with the guides up , I then turn every thing upside down and place the Tiburon from a flat surface(check to make sure) and with a light source in front of the rod I check it that way with the rod spliting the rings of the guices. Fly rods I have to do it just line of sight.. Great and surprisingly simple tips. TGIF

Date: October 14, 2005 08:01PM

....and outside natural lighting. ....thanks for the "under/ over" tip

Posted by: Dave Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 08:11PM

I also line up by sight (I do flyrods for myself and a few "understanding" friends), but found the hard way that improper lighting can skew the guides by the deceiving reflection on the guides. Fortunately (or less often intelligently) I triple check before the epoxy goes on. I find I frequently re-align then. I have only one rod with a guide out of alignment. It's mine, so I'm not fixing it. The rod still works great.

OTOH, I bought a rod from a well-respected maker, had it custom-made, and when it arrived there were three guides misaligned. When I looked at it the first time, I thought "I can do that, I don't have to pay someone to do it for me!" Of course, they made good on it.

Posted by: Sean Endres (---.177.37.145.adsl.snet.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 09:29PM

Good info, guys. I use line of site, without the reel. And flip it over, do the slipt the guide thing. Never tried with the reel inplace, but will on the next.

Date: October 14, 2005 10:04PM

Sean....if you have a variety of old reels, see them as "alignment tools"...if you visit any old school tackle shops, ask them if you can look at the "junk reel collection"...then negotiate for jigs!!! TGIF.

Posted by: Sean Endres (---.177.37.145.adsl.snet.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 10:35PM

Mike, that is what I am going to do. I think I have a few junk reels around here somewhere. If not, I will hit a yardsale, @#$%& or something. Thanks!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.81.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 15, 2005 08:22AM

I use a piece of masking tape on the butt of the rod and near the tip with a marker mark on it to align the spine then the seat, then the tip top, from there I set the guides to the tip top, while checking the seat as I go.
Look though the guides, then flip it over and use the blank to split the rings.

Out side light is very helpfull.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2005 02:36AM

I've done the same exact thing. I still wonder how, but it happens.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: October 16, 2005 08:43AM

have not done that yet, but have glued a piece of scrap into a tip section on a fly rod. Does that count ???

Posted by: Don Jones (---.dsl.hrbg.epix.net)
Date: October 16, 2005 08:51AM

I was wondering from those who have a Renzetti, do any of you have the laser guide alignment accessory? If so, does it do a good job and is it worth the extra $$$? I don't have a Renzetti.........yet but I think I would consider that accessory if it works.

Posted by: Jeff Titulaer (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: October 31, 2005 09:27PM

Sometimes I think i'm cross-eyed after looking at recently attached guides. I've been trying to think of better/sturdier ways to hold the guides on while wrapping as i've noticed that I sometimes bump them and knock them out of alignment during the wrapping process. I've used masking tape in the past, but I thought maybe heat-shrink might do a better job and have a little more holding power. I'm trying it as we speak, but I think some type of jig would work better. Does anyone know of a jig out there that would hold a guide in place while wrapping? The laser idea from renzetti looks good for alignment, but I need something that will hold the guide in place tightly while wrapping. I'm thinking a little v-block clamp for each guide would do wonders. I'll let you know how the shrink wrap works out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster