I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question for Tom K.
Posted by: Anonymous User (63.166.216.---)
Date: October 14, 2005 03:47PM

I ask this as someone who is still relatively new to your forum.
Billy V. started a thread around lunch time today(Friday). It wasn't a direct problem or question, so did it get taken off the board for that reason?
I thought it was interesting to see the problems that could arise in the building process, but can understand your reasons for getting it off. I hope this board does stay true to building rods and not just a chat site. However I did see some useful "not to does" in what Billy had started.
I don't wish to come across as to question your choise, I'm just making sure I understand how things are interpreted with regards to the subjects that are posted.
Thank you for what you have done with this board. It is an absolute asset to all of us.

Tight lines.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for Tom K.
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 14, 2005 03:51PM

I have no idea, I didn't see it. I've been out for few hours. A moderator may have taken it off if he deemed it outside the realm of what is allowed here. When I'm not here I have to rely on their judgement - I can't possibly keep up with the board 24 hours a day.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: October 14, 2005 04:26PM

I'm not here to complain or anything like that, but I wondered why myself, and I recieved 5 e-mails from different people asking why. I did my best to start a "FUN" thread, which pertained to Rodbuilding where we could get to her a few good stories, laugh at each other, adn hopefully people would see what NOT to do.

Basically it was a post for peope to list things which they've gotten stuck on various Rod Building components. My example was EVA Blocks getting stuck on a Mandrel, and why/how I think it happeend, plus how I managed to get them off.

I included a paragraph which stated this would be a good Rodbuilding topic for some Friday Humor. I wen tto lunch and when I returned it was off the boards, apparantly someone posted the thread was off topic and shouldn't be allowed on the site.

Posted by: Dave Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 04:56PM

I thought that thread was interesting, to see how people made mistakes and then found solutions. Being a relative beginner, I could have learned a thing or two. It didn't appear to be an off-topic chat. It was more appropriate than a discussion of reel choices. Too bad it was deleted.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 14, 2005 05:41PM

Having it pulled saved me from showing how stupid I have been in some of my goofs of the past. Now you guys will never know. Sorry. You will just have to find someone else to laugh at.

Date: October 14, 2005 07:42PM

As I said, I didn' see it and really don't know what it contained. The old software had a feature that a moderator to simply hide a thread until it could be checked but this new package only has a delete feature.

For what it's worth, the biggest mistake I ever made on a rod, a pair of rods really, was a couple of 50lb class trolling rods. If you've ever installed a uni-butt ferrule, you know what a pain it is having the ferrule nut on there, spinning and falling off while you size the blank and adhere the ferrule. Like most people, I just remove the nut while I'm installing the ferrule.

After the epoxy on the ferrule to blank bond had cured, I set about installing some very nice inlaid foam grips I had done. Spent a good deal of time on them and went to great pains to get them well adhered to the blank. Two hours after I had installed them and while I was admiring my handiwork, I saw the ferrule nuts lying on the workbench. I had forgotten to put them back on the ferrules before I put the foregrips on.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: October 14, 2005 08:00PM

That's a good one, Tom; Billy had started a good thread. I was wondering too why it was pulled and emailed Billy wondering if someone had replied nastily or something else that I hadn't seen as to a reason it was pulled. It was listing lots of "Don't Do This" things that helps a guy before he gets into a 9 lined bind.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 14, 2005 08:14PM

That had to hurt.....I'm assuming you lost the foregrip and inlays???

Date: October 14, 2005 08:48PM

Yes, I had to cut them off the blank, sand things down and start over. Not a great day, and yet it had been going so well up to that point.

Date: October 14, 2005 08:49PM

Yes, I had to cut them off the blank, sand things down and start over. Not a great day, and yet it had been going so well up to that point. But I'll tell you what - I've never forgotten to put the ferrule nuts back a rod before mounting the grips since then.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 14, 2005 10:18PM

And you never will! lol................but because of this post, maybe ONE, person will learn a lesson from your mistake, and it'll never happen to them.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 10:52PM

I would have very much liked to see the removed post but I missed it!
Billy, have you concidered re-posting?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.81.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 15, 2005 07:54AM

Billy

Start it up again ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster