I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

single foot vs. snake guides
Posted by: Bryan Duke (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 14, 2005 05:21AM

I'm looking for others thoughts and opinions on the pro's/con's of single foot fly guides vs. snake guides. I don't mean ceramic single footers, just hard chrome or other comparable finishes

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: single foot vs. snake guides
Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 05:45AM

Single foot pro's - 1 leg to wrap instead of 2,which in turn means less over all thread and epoxy on the rod(some people say that the leg on alot of SF guides are too long,and are actually about the same size as both legs of a snake guide together,but if the SF leg is that long,you can trim it shorter and reshape it with a Dremel tool or something).Less thread and epoxy means a lighter and more efficient rod,so a rod with SF guides often feels "slightly" crisper,and recovers "slightly" faster than the same rod with double foot snakes.Not alot,but on some rods it can make a noticable difference.SF wire guides are also inexpensive.With the lighter titanium frame ceramics,like the Fugi's,you not only get this benefit,but you also get the added benefits of a ceramic ring,like a quieter rod,longer fly line life,a smoother feel,and the possibility of a little added distance(not much,and not always).

Single foot con's - They don't look as nice as snakes on a fly rod to many people.

Snake guide pro's - They look nice on a fly rod and are inexpensive.In really cold weather they don't seem to ice up quite as easily as SF guides of the same size as the open area is a bit larger in a snake guide due to the shape.

Snake guide con's -2 wraps to do on each guide instead of 1(double the guide prepping,double the wrapping,double the finishing,etc).Heavier and less efficient overall rod.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.90.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 11:18AM

there is a con towards single foot wire fly guides floating around, that they bend easily and/or pull out of the wraps. many people call this bunk and state a locking wrap can eliminate any chance of that happening.

pro... less prepping on single foot wire guides.

i like single foots....

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: October 14, 2005 11:28AM

I personally think single foot guides, whether wire or ceramic, look cleaner than snake guides. I've fly fished for more than 35 years and have rods with snake guides, single foot wire guides and single foot ceramic guides and cannot tell any difference in castability among the guides. When it comes to fighting heavy fish, ceramics win hands down.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 12:25PM

Look in the Library at the top of the page and read "the Forhan Locking Wrap" by Rich Forhan. All single foot guides NEED a locking wrap! I've replaced many single foot guides over several years and after learning this locking wrap the only ones to come back were broken off, not pulled out from under the wrap. I've had snake guides pinch and damage my flyline. Of your two choices, I choose Single foot guides. I do reccomend ceramic (alconite) instead of wire, though. My $.02 worth. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: October 14, 2005 02:34PM

I finished wrapping a bamboo rod with 2 tips yesterday and am once again reminded of how much I hate DF guides. Twice the work. No more! Not even on bamboo! Go to ceramics as soon as you cross into the 4 weights and above.

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 04:40PM

I understand the reasoning behind the "Forhan" locking wrap, but I don't see a need for it on any of the rods I build (usually 7Wt and under).

Isn't the arrowhead type shape of the fuji single foot ceramics meant to "lock" the foot into the wraps and prevent it from pulling out?

The reason I don't use the Forhan locking wrap is it is difficult to reposition guides for alignment if they are more than slightly off. And, all my guides seem to fall into the category when I go to align them before epoxy. LOL!

My meaningless $0.02!

Domenic Federico
Infinity Rod Creations
Wickliffe, Ohio

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.81.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 15, 2005 08:50AM

I use the Forhan locking wrap on all my single foot guides. Easy to do and I don't have to worry about them.
Plus ya don't have to do three turns if ya don't want to.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: October 16, 2005 12:17AM

I've never used it, either, Domenic. Near 25 years of wrapping single foot guides and I can't remember having to "put one back in" (knock on wood). Until I need it, I won't change what I'm doing now.

I'm afraid if someone really got Western yanking a rod out of a rod rack that with a locking wrap, it could possibly damage the rod. I think in that case, I'd rather re-wrap one guide??

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: October 16, 2005 12:46AM

Funny about repositioning. Try taking off a little of the thread tension, especially on the last part of the wraps before the lockwrap. I find it pretty easy to move the guides myself. I also grind off the "arrows" to make wrapping easier, as the bumps they cause sometimes make packing a pain. On black guide feet I use sharpie and CP to keep colour. Chrome and TiCh finishes I just give a quicke onceover with a diamond file.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster