I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bob Ross Landscape oil color????
Posted by: Dan Colville (---.bflony.adelphia.ne)
Date: October 12, 2005 05:52PM

Hey guys. I picked up some Bob Ross Landscape oil color which is in a tube. Is this ok to use for marbling? It is not a powder but it is described as "Finest quality pigments ground in alkalai refined linseed oil. As always you guys are great. I wouldnt still be figuring out how to wrap a guide if it wasnt for this board.
Sincerely,
Dan Colville

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bob Ross Landscape oil color????
Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (68.220.228.---)
Date: October 12, 2005 06:28PM

I haven't done any marbling yet, but I color/tint the epoxy I bond cork rings together with. recently I purchased red oxide pigment from Golden Witch, oil based red pigment from Sherwin Williams and Winton & Newton oil colour#1 permanent alizarin crimson. In experimenting with these I like the Art pigment best so far. Since you mix pigment with epoxy to marble, the Bob Ross stuff should work well. I did find the linseed oil vehicle makes for a longer curing time. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 12, 2005 08:01PM

Dan,

Oil paint in the thickness needed to create a Marbling effect will take about 2 weeks to dry to the touch. Total curing will take months. Even a water break free surface on a graphite blank is a very poor ground for the paint to adhere to. A primer of gesso or rabbit skin glue would improve the bond, but that will only add to the process time. There are drying agents you can add to the paint but this still is a very complex way to achieve the marble effect.

You will be much better off running a search on Marbling and read the many posts by Randy Parpart on the subject. He has run many tests and his results will lead you directly to successful methods. I think he will have a DVD on the subject available soon.

Dry Pigment suspended in Epoxy Rod Finish (check Randy's preferred brands) seems to be the way to go. If new improved methods are discovered I think they will reach the Forum in short order.

Dave

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: October 12, 2005 09:28PM

Try searching the internet for Tap Plastics tints, or Testors enamel paint.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: October 13, 2005 01:32AM

Mix a bit of it in the rod finish like you've been doing with other pigments; don't use too much. Just enough to tint the finish opaque; best done on a light colored piece of heavy construction type paper so that you can judge the opaqueness. Marble as normal, it works fine. Haven't tried that exact brand, but I've used 3 other artist oil based (and, unfortunately, one acrylic) paints. They work great for me. Epoxy dries in normal time if not mixed with too much of the paint.

Hope this helps,

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster