I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flock Peeling
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 12, 2005 09:37AM

I have noticed a few post in the past about flock peeling from the surface of cork. I recently had a peeling failure and discovered why. I got some of the Amtak AAAA cork preformed cork rear grip pieces. These are the ones that look almost flawless on the surface with the "white" appearance. i admired these pieces and they looked so flawless that I applied the Cork Seal to the as received surfaces and set them up for three days. Applied the Donjer Adhesive and flocked - set aside for four days untouched - brushed off excess flock with soft paint brush and noticed that on the ends the adhesive had "curled" slightly and I started fiddling with the ends and found that the adhesive was easily peeled from the surface. Now totally bummed out!

I had previously used only the "water damaged cork grips" gotten from Andy which were really poor quality. I talked to Lance Dupree and we both figured out that the surface of the Amtak grips had been altered somehow with the manufacturing process and that the corkseal was not totally penetrating or either was sealing the uppermost level of the cork causing a layering effect. Evidently the AMTAK grips are sanded and possibly treated with something that is interfering with the Cork Seal or the Adhesive.

I took some of the Amtak pieces and throroughly cleaned them with alcohol and vigrorously wiped them with cheesecloth to remove the top layer. It was evident that a large amount of cork powder was removed from the surface. After cleaning the cork they looked just like any other good grade of cork and the "white" appearance was gone. I have since flocked them and they did fine.

It has also been so hot here that it is necessarry to place the Donjer Adhesive in an ice water bath to create enough viscosity to get a thick continuous coat of the adhesive without having the adhesive just simple sliding off the cork during application.

Don't mention this to Andy or he will raise the price for the water damaged cork and call it Flockin Grade!

Just Plain Gon

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster