I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rodmaker Mag?
Posted by: Raymond Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: October 11, 2005 10:11PM

When/what was the last magazine? I'm not sure, but I don't think I'm getting them anymore. Don't know why...subscription is definitely not expired. Just wondering

Thanks,
Ray,
Juneau, AK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rodmaker Mag?
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.45.168.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: October 11, 2005 10:50PM

The last was volume 8, issue 4, at least by what I have.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: October 11, 2005 11:04PM

I may be way off here and this is just a suggestion, but maybe if you want to know this sort of thing you might try contacting Rodmaker magazine and asking there. Sorry if this is a ridiculous idea but it just popped into my mind. Might be worth a try.

Posted by: Raymond Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: October 12, 2005 12:41AM

Yeah, your probably right Shawn. I was just dissapointed that I never got the new issues in the mail. Great magazine, no complaints. Just got a little post-happy. I was just hoping somebody would say what the topic of the last issue was and when they recieved it was.

Regrets,
Ray,
Juneau, AK

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 12, 2005 12:50AM

Ray,
Blue cover article on Do-it-yourself Rod Lathe and Spiral wrap demo device Vol.8 Issue 4

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: October 12, 2005 10:21AM

RodMaker Magazine (RMM) is published bi-monthly, 6 issues per year, and is issued only during the EVEN months of the year. It is sent Pre-Sorted Standard 3rd Class U.S.Mail. It is not due in your mail-box until the LAST WEEK of that EVEN-numbered month of the Year (Feb, April, June, Aug, Oct, Dec).

To be EXACT, an Issue of RMM is NOT DUE UNTIL the 28th day of that even-numbered month. .

The next issue due is RMM Volume 8 (the 8th year of publication), Issue # 5 (the 5th issue of this year, which is October) = "RMM-8(5)" for short.

At this time (Oct. 12th, 2005), it may still be another 2 weeks until your October copy [RMM-8(5)] arrives in your U.S.Mail box. ... If it doesn't, then something is out of order, but not before then.

I hope that gives a better understanding of the process and policy. The proper expectation is that your copy of RMM is not due until the 28th day of the EVEN -numbered months. If it arrives earlier than that, then you have cause for rejoicing.

My subscription has never arrived late, and I suspect that that is true for over 99.9% of the 40,000 subscribers to RMM. That's about as perfect as humanly possible, in my book. "Bubba, - It don't git no better than that," IMO. -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA+++ "This is GATOR COUNTRY"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2005 10:46AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 12, 2005 10:48AM

Thanks for providing that information, Cliff, you answered it better than I could have. The only thing I would correct is the number of subscribers - I wish we did have 40,000, but it's more like 12,000 on average.

Posted by: Joe Hepp (205.172.107.---)
Date: October 12, 2005 12:34PM

My copy of issue 8-5 arrived here in southcentral PA yesterday. As always, it was full of interesting reading.

Unfortunately, for the first time ever, it looked like someone (actually a couple hundred someones) had already paged through it. I guess the look on my face said it all, as the little one asked "What's wrong Daddy?" When I showed the mag to her, she replied "Isn't that the magazine you collect?" Didn't know she was that observant, but she's absolutely correct. I do collect RMM and they are proudly displayed on the living room coffee table! LOL

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2005 12:43PM by Joe Hepp.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: October 12, 2005 03:51PM

My 8-5 arrived in Oregon today, another great issue.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: October 12, 2005 06:26PM

For a rodbuilder, anticipating arrival of RMM like having Christmas bi-monthly. We're just aging children, aren't we.

Stan

Arisen from the dead?
Posted by: Johnathan Sams (---.ij.net)
Date: October 12, 2005 08:12PM

Another great issue but more interesting to me this time was the letter from a Mr. Gene Bullard. I thought this guy had gone on to the great rod building bench in the sky! Sure was a shock and a pleasure to see that he\'s alive and well. Looking forward to the eventual interview. This guy is the granddaddy of rod building for many of us.

Re: Arisen from the dead?
Posted by: Aurthur Mercer (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 12, 2005 08:30PM

My issue has not arrived yet but I am overjoyed to learn that Gene is still with us. Is he still building rods?

I consider Gene the father of modern rod building. No disrespect intended, but Dale Clemens is a johnny-come-lately compared to Gene. Gene was building rods back in the 1950's if my memory serves me correctly. What a gentleman. What a great businessman. Gene answered every phone call himself and this was no easy feat considering the size of his business. I visited his operation in Texas in the 1970's. They were filling two or three UPS trucks to the brim with orders every day. But like nearly everyone from Texas that I've met, Gene was just a laid back gentleman and always as good as his word. To this day I have never dealt with a better rod building supply dealer than Gene. I'm just very glad to hear that he's still around.

To tell you the truth, there is one person around today that reminds me a little bit of Gene in terms of knowledge, accomplishments and the amount of work he gets done each day. Guess who.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 12, 2005 09:52PM

My guess would be Tom Kirkman!!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster