I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Counter intuitive design ?? (Help..)
Posted by: Tommy Lindsay (---.249.180.28.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: October 11, 2005 08:36PM

Hello all, it has been while since I posted. Been trying to use what I built last spring..Hope this finds all well...looking forwrd to Charlotte !!!

Now the question:

(Engineers, sharpen your calculators..)

If you have a "soft" rod, say a rainshadow IP965. You are trying to build a rod that will flat out make 3/8-3/4 disappear to the far side of the bar...

So, what if you build it with heavier guides ? would the weight of the guides create additional momentum on the back cast, assisting in loading the rod (with the lighter lures) and getting more rod into the cast ?

does this make sense ? it seems based on reading many of your posts that it is counter intuitive. The rod is supposed to perform without additional weight, just the rated weight of lure...right ?

I am hearing that some Hatteras builders are building the ip965 with larger (size 10) "top" (the last 3-4 before the tip) guides on the concept system and are getting much increased distances with this blank. To me, it seems the added weight is assisting in adding to the moment of the back cast, which loads the rod to a higher degree then "lite" design, when the rod unloads, all that energy gotta go somewhere ?????.....Does it ?? Does the "extra" weight hamper the unload / load cycle ??...

The rods are being used with braid and 4000or 2500 spinning reels..

Thoughts ?? Comments ?? Opinions ??

thanks and tight lines !!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Counter intuitive design ?? (Help..)
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 11, 2005 08:47PM

Your concept makes some sense, but in practice it almost always backfires to some degree. By adding extra weight to the blank itself, you tend to reduce its efficiency. Yes, if your casting weight or lure isn't heavy enough to load the blank you have there, then some extra weight added to the blank will help load it on the back cast. But...

On the forward cast that extra weight from the guides stays attached to the blank and means that it will deflect farther and oscillate longer than if you had used lighter guides. It won't be nearly as responsive and won't react nor recover as well as if you hadn't added that extra weight.

Your very best bet, is to select a blank that is better suited for throwing the weight lures you plan to toss.

I'd also tell you to try it for yourself. If you already have that blank you mentioned, tape up your best performing guide set and go out and throw the lures. Now wrap some lead wire around the tip (You can get this at any fly fishing shop) to add more weight and make the rod deflect further on the back cast. Now go out and cast it again and see how you like it.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: October 12, 2005 12:58AM

Lindsay - I have at least one "over-built" in the tip section surf rod (9', originally rated for 1-3 oz lures) that I re-built that is quite in line with what you described. The heavier Fuji SiC PST-16mm-13/64ths Tip-top and larger first guide definitely "pre-load" my rod with respect to casting. That lowers the weight of the lure rating, at both ends of the range, and it can handle 1/2 oz metal better than before my re-build (which I sometimes need for schoolie bluefish chasing thumb-size finger mullet.)

YES the stick wobbles more at the end of the forward cast. BUT, IMO, it casts that 1/2 oz tin WAY farther than before the re-build. IMO, it is less trickier timing wise for the release for this 1/2 oz tin than before the re-build.

The DOWN side is that the higher end of the lure weight suffers. That is also preloaded as well. BUT since I do not throw heavy LURES - if it's more than 2 oz, it ain't a lure I'm throwing - it's a SINKER + BAIT (usually ~ 3oz + 1oz). I can live with that feeling and slight loss of casting power.

Your situation may need more control over the upper end of your lure range. But if you want to lower the bottom end from 1oz down to 1/2 oz, a little overbuiding can work wonders for you, IMO.

As Tom Kirkman has said, if you are builiding on a new-order rod blank, do order a rod blank that better matches your lure range. BUT if you are trying to re-work an old rod, some "pre-loading" may work in your favor. It can help on the low end, but hurts the high end of the lure range. (No calculator required.) On a Permanent basis - heavier guides / tip-top. On a Temporary basis - wrap some bell wire around the blank near the tip and see if that works for the day. If you don't like it, just remove it - no harm done. -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Jaime Choy (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: October 12, 2005 01:17AM

I am not a professional builder, but I do cast a lot using similar weight lures. It seems to me that you are using a blank with too heavy of an action to cast a 3/8 oz lure very far. For starters, if you want to cast a small lure like that a mile away, you would use the low end of the line weight. Most likely 10 or 12 lb test. And since it's a spinning rod, you would really want the 10 lb test to have somewhat of a distance. The IP965 has a low end of 3/8 oz and 10lb line, so I think no mater how you weight up the rod it would not perform well. My feeling is that after a full day of casting the fisherman/lady will be very tired. The IP964 or IP963 would be more suitable. Since it will be used with the lower range line weight anyway, why not match the blank to the line and lure to be used? I use a blank similar to the IP963 on a bait-casting rod with 12 lb test and I can cast all day with out feeling any strain. But I must admit that if I catch a big fish, I will have a long fight ahead of me. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster