I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FT Users Opinion Requested
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 10, 2005 12:31PM

Now that the Dan Craft FT blanks have been out for awhile, users have likely formed opinions about the selection of line weights for this blank. I'm interested in knowing how many anglers use the FT nameplate line weight, how many cast a lower line weight, and how many cast a higher line weight for their specific use. Information about specific uses, if they impact the line weight selected, would also be helpful.

Thanks,
Jeff Shafer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FT Users Opinion Requested
Posted by: David Olley (---.l2.c5.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: October 10, 2005 02:39PM

I use a FT10' 4wt, I use both 4 and 5 wt lines and find it casts both well

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: October 10, 2005 02:45PM

I have the 9 wt 7 wt. It casts my 7 wt AirFlo line beautifully.

Keith

Posted by: James Mello (---.haydrian.com)
Date: October 10, 2005 02:52PM

So I've got an FT 9' 5wt... I love it now that I've got a new line on it. Originally I had an Orvis Wonderline 5wt on it, and for shorter casts I had a real hard time getting the rod to load. Once I moved to a 6wt SA Ultra4, things definately got better in terms of casting. Overall this is a *fast* rod, so plan accordingly....

-- Cheers
-- James

Posted by: charles segal (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: October 10, 2005 03:24PM

I built an FT 10' 8 weight, which I use as a "switch" rod for salmon and steelhead, and a 9' 5 weight FT. The rods actually feel and cast quite differently. The 10 foot is perfect for the job at hand, seems to flex more through the blank and handles the 8 or 9 weight perfectly. The 9 footer is light and FAST, with what I guess to be a less progressive taper than the 10 footer, and I fish it with sinking lines and shooting heads. It casts a ton, but I wouldn't call it a pleasant rod, or a rod with much "feel"- but these things are quite subjective, and contrary to the "hype", no one rod can do everything well. Hope this helps,
Cheers, Charlie

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: October 10, 2005 03:26PM

I use a Airflo 40+ Extreme WF9F on my 9'0" 8wt FT...had a WF8F and it was underloaded...used for stripers on the east coast...now for steelies and salmon...longest casting outfit I have owned...also worked well with the WF8F and a 10' polyleader...and currently fishing with a 300gr Rio Dredger (would be better with a 250-275 but they don't make that...underlined with a 200)...

Also used a SA Steelhead WF5F on a 9'0" 6wt FT...nice match for dry line steelies and smallmouth...was a rocket with a WF7F bass line too, just couldn't aerialize as much of it...

Just starting a build with a 10' 10wt FT which will probably get paired with a 400gr tungsten head...and maybe a Delta Spey 8/9...for salmon and winter steelies...

Test casted a 10' 8wt FT and found it was perfect with a WF8F as rated...a WF9F felt like way too much line when carrying more than 40' in the air...

Test casted a 9'0" 4wt FT with a couple different lines for a trout fishing customer and settled on a DT4F...would have been fine with a WF5F too

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Raymond Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: October 10, 2005 07:29PM

I have an FT 1008-4 switcher, and am convinced it is the ulitmate salmon/steelhead rod for my uses here in Southeast Alaska. Very versitile, and a whole lot nicer than my wimpy Sage 890 VPS which is currently collecting dust in my closet. I use a lot of different lines with the rod, with few complaints for each. For singlehand overhead casting, a WF8F line seems about perfect for me. I can easily shoot a full Rio versitip floater, and it's even easier with one of the sink-tips. For small creeks, spey, and roll casting with a floater, I'll either use a short-headed (bass taper, or SA headstart) WF9F or a long-headed SA steelhead WF10F, which both do the job well, depending on the stream size, how god-offal the fly is (I like em big & nasty), the current water conditions, and the target species. One of these days I'll probably buy a Delta Spey line for it.

For the coho run this year I have been experimenting with various sinking heads. While the versi-tip 8wt tips cast well, they just wern't getting down fast enough for me. I ended up lining her with a 350 grain chunk of T-14, and have been very pleased (spey and roll casts very well for me). The rod handles it very well, although I've had problems with the line coating stripping off of the monofilament core (not the rod's fault). Aside from its casting abilities, its fish-fighting abilities are very good. I've landed many, many, many salmon this year with it (up to 35 pounds) with little to no problem, not to mention the 39 inch steelie I landed with it on the Situk last spring. The only problem I did have was a ferrule that cracked on me while double hauling, however, I'm sure it was because the ferrule wrap was not close enough to the end (live and learn). When it was out of commision, I found myself carrying around 3 rods to make up for it....

Anyway, I love the rod. Can't wait to get my hands on an FT 1004-4 for trout and humpies, just waiting on my PFD!!!

Hope this helps,
Ray,
Juneau, AK

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 10, 2005 07:54PM

Thanks all,
At this point I will add my experience. I've only built the 8'6" 3wt FT and have had fishing experiences using DT3F and DT4F lines. When I built the rod I did so with the intent of using it when I wanted to fish mostly dry flies using the DT4F, and the rod casts nicely with that line. On one occasion though, I loaded the wrong reel in my vest and didn't notice I had the wrong reel until I had biked a couple of miles to my destination, mounted the reel, and fished in a brisk wind for around an hour. The wrong reel had a DT3F line mounted on it, and during the time period prior to noticing that I had the wrong the reel I was marveling at how well my line was cutting through the wind. So the rod has performed well with its nameplate line and one stronger.

Soon I will be building the 9'0" 4wt FT, and my intent is to cast a DT5F as my primary line for this rod. I just wanted to hear whether other FT users found themselves up lining when they fish the FT, or whether the nameplate line was most acceptable. Either way I'm looking forward to fishing another FT.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Jon Erbacher (---.bay.webtv.net)
Date: October 10, 2005 07:56PM

i have a 9 foot 4 wt. i mostly use a WF5 on it for most my trout fishing it will also cast a WF4 well and even handle a WF6 well

Posted by: Richard Carlson (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2005 01:56PM

I got some funny looks using a FT 904 in AK fishing for silvers. I used a Rio Versitip with the type 6 head. It cast really well (wasn't near as sweet when I broke off the tip top and first gujde) The CCS of 8.35 ERN and AA of 77 led me to believe it would make a nice 7 weight and it did. Was I fishing a 4 weight like the blank said or a 7 weight like the line I was using???

Date: October 11, 2005 02:12PM

Richard,
If I am understanding you correctly, the FT904 rod seemed to handle the seven weight line nicely until the tip broke off. If that's correct, and I could see where someone using the CCS data (8.35 ERN) might come to believe that the rod will handle a seven or eight weight, it may be necessary to develop some form of CCS conversion table for the FT blank so users don't unknowingly overload and damage the blank. Or at least some form of guidance that no more than one line weight up should be attempted.

Input from CCS experts would be helpful - Dan Craft and potential users of this blank sure could benefit.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: wayne chubb (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2005 05:18PM

Jeff,

I built what amounted to a 10'6" switch rod out of an FT 1007-4. I love it with both the 7 wt. and various shooting heads, and it held up fine when, on one of the inaugural casts this spring, I overpowered a two handed cast and crashed a heavy (size 2) comet into it. I wasn't as happy with how it handles an 8 wt. Airflo Delta Float line (not the Delta Spey) - it became a little too full-flex for my tastes, and I like medium action rods. I've since accidentally shortened it by 4", and it still casts fine. I finished it too late for steelies this spring, but it was great on shad and stripers to 8 pounds, and will be up on the Trinity next week for it's steelhead test. All in all, I'd buy another.

Wayne Chubb

Posted by: Raymond Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: October 11, 2005 10:02PM

After finally getting a full understanding of the Commen Cents System after Tom so-generously-donated it to the general public this week, I would say it was a very bad idea to line a 4 wt FT with an 8wt line for cohos. Sure I'd try a 4wt for humpies, but not silvers, especially with a nine foot blank. Silvers can get quite large (15+ pounds), can put up a hard fight, and require the angler to get down deep and dirty. In the first CCS article, it describes the Sage TCR, commonly compared to Dan's FT blanks, which describes the TCR as having a very stout butt matched with a very weak tip...exactly like my observations with the FT 1008-4, although I don't have a TCR (and in no way plan on paying that much for a fishing rod). Although a 4 wt FT may have the power to cast a 8wt line, I'm sure the tip is too weak for it. Personally, I would be worried trying to throw a 12 wt line with my FT, especially overhead. As far as I know Dan has field tested these blanks extensively, and the factory rating should be considered seriously. The extreme AA should clue one in. The fish-fighting ability is probably there, but the tip is probably far too weak to cast such a heavy line. Great blanks, just don't let the ERNs fool you, as the Action Angle is a very important indicator too. Once again, I can't wait to build a FT 1004-4 switcher for next season, but I won't be using it for silvers and kings, just humpies and trout.....maybe sockeye, but I'm not sure yet....we'll see!!

Ray,
Juneau, AK

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 12, 2005 01:57AM

I don't see why anyone would overline a rod by more than one size. The tip of an FT is very soft to cast the designated line wt with a very short stroke (tip casting). On longer casts the rod will bend further into the middle of the blank. To over line a rod by several sizes leads me to believe that a rod with a more moderate taper would be a much better choice. Despite all the hype that they get, fast action rods aren't the best action for everyone's casting style.

Tony

Posted by: Richard Carlson (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2005 08:21AM

Jeff, It was leaning on the rod while getting onto the front of the raft that broke the tip, not casting overload. And Dan was super to deal with to get a replacement section.

Date: October 12, 2005 11:58AM

Thanks for the clarification Richard. I meant no harm with my discussion above, simply trying to understand whether any conclusions could be drawn from FT users' experiences with varying line weights. My personal conclusion is that the FT will handle (due to the soft tip) the prescribed line weight well, even at short distances. I also have found that with the 8'6" 3wt, a four weight double taper can be presented nicely even at distances beyond thirty feet due to the power of the rod's lower sections. Beyond plus one line weight the user may be stressing the rod more than should be attempted.

Posted by: Nate Harris (---.lndnnh.adelphia.net)
Date: October 12, 2005 08:46PM

Built an FT 909-4 for NE striper... thrown a SA Mastery Stiped Bass WF9 and WF10 Intermediates... Went with the 9, but now think I'da rather stuck with the 10. Throws 350gr of Rio Striper like you wouldn't believe!

Gonna put another FT together as soon as I get some free time.... not sure what model, but I do know I want more... I love 'em!

Nate

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 13, 2005 01:03AM

I didn't know that there was a 909-4. Is that a discontinued model? I don't see it in the catalogue.

Tony

Posted by: Nate Harris (---.lndnnh.adelphia.net)
Date: October 16, 2005 03:28AM

Tony,

The PDF catalog has yet to be updated... but there are actually several models of this blank now available in addition to those listed. I was turned on to them by posts made on this board several months back indicated the new, expanded line up.

I've been totally jazzed about my FT 909's performance! Totally rocks for New England saltwater fly fishing. Wish there was a 9ft 11wt!!! lol

Try a search of this site using "FT 909" or "New FT in stock" and it should come up. Or just shoot Dan an email or give him a call.

Nate Harris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster