I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Suggestions
Posted by: Ron Beagles (---.com)
Date: October 10, 2005 11:01AM

Hey Guys -

I am starting on a 9 foot surf / pier rod for sharks and such down here in Galveston Texas. I have made rods for over 25 years but would like some input on suggested guides for this one. There so many varieties of guides these days, I want this to be well received by the customer and all. The reel will be a penn 500 or equivalent. This makes it a caster or level wind .

thanks in advance

Ron Beagles

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Suggestions
Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 10, 2005 11:57AM

Regardless of the guides you settle on, I would suggest you look at setting it up utilizing the bumper or simple spiral method as outlined in Rodmaker Vol 8 Issue 2.

I have built and setup several boat rods for shark with this method and they have performed flawlessly.

I setup utilizing Turbo Guides, but the rods are not used for casting. Even though, you might want to look at using them.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: October 10, 2005 01:04PM

For a 9' Revolving Spool Casting SURF Rod (w/Penn 500 JigMaster),
THINK SPIRAL WRAP [RMM-8(2)] and see if the customer is receptive.

FUJI: Hardloy (x-xx-LG) or Alconite (x-xx-AG), or higher grade.
(or similar styles in other brands would be a good choice, too.)

BSVLG (Tri-Legged, Double-footed, Higher-frame, Regular duty) for a Butt Guide; (a 25mm or 20mm ring size may not be too big)

BNLG-H or BHNLG (Tri-Legged, Double-footed, Lower-frame, Heavy Duty) for the Bumper Guide thru the Mid-section guides; or

BNLG (Tri-Legged, Double -footed, Lower-frame, Regular Duty) for the Bumper Guide thru the Mid-section, on out thru Tip-section guides.

PST (Silicon Carbide - SiC) or similar large flange ring Tip-Top.

American Tackle's TITANS Series NIV and NIC (or Fuji all SiC x-xx-SG) should be considered if the customer wants to (really) splurge.

If he really spends that much time on piers for large fish, heavy-duty guide frames would be preferred, even in the tip section. The pier rail is usually pretty rough on most guides and rod blanks. If he is using 25# to 30# test, I would consider preferring the heavy-duty frames.

If he uses 40# test or higher, the Fuji Hardloy BOAT / TROLLING Rod Guides Series BLRLG would be a better choice. This FOLDED-Frame style is about the toughest style of guide frame out there. AmTack's HDHG Series is analogous to the Fuji BLRLG series and the AmTack TURBO Series (xx-BTR-x or xx-CTR-x), and will save a few $$.

You haven't told us anything about the rod blank other than the length. But this sounds more like a bait heaver, and not a lure slinger, so overall weight or tip section over-loading from heavier line guides may be less of a concern than overall STURDINESS and durability. (It's your warranty.) ... How big are these sharks ... 20# or 120+# ...?

IMO, Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA+++

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2005 01:33PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Martin Ferral (---.fuse.net)
Date: October 11, 2005 01:41AM

First of all I would say a 9' surf rod may not be well received as a shark fishing tool on a pier. I specialize in sharking from the beaches and piers so would suggest that if you are building a surf rod for sharks set it up like you would any heaver that is going to cast 6 - 10 oz. using 20 - 30# line. Usually, you don't need to be able to cast very far as the sharks come in close at night (which, in public areas is the only time they should be fished.) A surf fisher that casts bait can expect to catch sharks in the3 - 5' range. As for guides, I would go with the best stainless steel from one of the sponsors. I know they aren't fancy but they work great and are low maintenance. If, he wants a pier rod build him a shorty ( 5' ) with a 50# class blank and roller guides are the best way to go. Check out the tackle used by serious sharkers and you will only find rollers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster