I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

new rod wrapper [ maybe]
Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.ironoh.adelphia.net)
Date: October 09, 2005 10:17AM

Last year , my first at building rods , I finished 12 rods .Of the 12 rods ,I use 6 weekly and have all but stopped using factory built rods.. The rods I built last year where done on an old wrapper/ dryer combo rig , that while it worked OK I'm looking to upgrade. I figure to spend about $300.00 or somewhere around that amount.I know this question has been asked at least 1k times BUT for the money what would be the best buy . Easy to use and expandabailty[sp] are important// Thanks in advance
Ken Blevins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new rod wrapper [ maybe]
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 09, 2005 10:56AM

In the $300 range you have the American Tackle, Pacific Bay and Batson Enterprises rod wrapping machines. All are good units and exceptional values for the money. They're all similar so I'd shop for the best add-ons or price you can find.

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: October 09, 2005 11:41AM

Sorry to disagree with you Tom. I own one of those wrapping machines. The thread carrier is not very sturdy .It slides on plastic wheels on a rail. The wheels have worn out now so its time to replace them. I would never get a spring loaded rod holder. When doing any kind of work where you have hold ,push or pull against the rod it will pop out of the rod out of the holders. This has happens to me at least two or 3 times a a day while working on a rod.Most frustrating when you have to stop what your doing and reline the rod.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 09, 2005 12:25PM

If you intend to wrap by hand, look at the Flex-Coat SW-1 speed wrapper. If/when you go professional, the Flex-Coat motor with foot control will add right on. (wrapper, under $200. + motor). The rod blank is held on the wheels by a strip of velcro. I prefer wrapping by hand on this wrapper. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.235.90.242.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: October 09, 2005 01:44PM

Yes Ben! This question has been asked so many times it's probably beond count.However it has had about the same reply answers.It has been said many, many times it is what the person is looking for and what you want it to do.
Since I only wrap for a hobby and buy rods at yard sales to refurbish and give to kids who are less fortunate to buy one.
I got started by buying a Pac Bay Rod Smith rod wrapper back in 1990 at a tackle shop that was closing for the sum of 150.00.Since then I have added two of the new type rod stands that don't have the springs. Also I have modifided the three standes that came with it by using L brakets.Got that information from this board that someone posted a photo.
Also I have just gotten the new style chuck,that I have not put on yet so I don,t know how well that is yet.
I don't turn grips on mine because my work station is in the den of my home.For that I bought me the Grizzly hobby lathe and do my turning out side and don't have to have the dust problem.The photo of the lathe is in the photo page under equipment posted by Mike Barkley.
I don't have the plastic wheels on my thread carriage so I can't coment on that.The only thing I can say is that I am very well pleased with my set up for what I do.
There are many ways you can go here, so do your homework before you buy.

Since this subject has been brought up again.I think it would be interesting to hear from some of thoes who had asked the same question to see what they had bought and are you happy with it?????

So good luck Ben
<<<<DON AT HOBBY RODS>>>>

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: October 09, 2005 02:31PM

I still use an old Flex Coat wrapper with a motor. Since I don't sell rods my wife would kill me if I spent the $600 fo a Custom Wrapper that I really want. She may not kill me but she would be mighty upset and who would bring me coffee in bed in the mornings. That women has spoiled over the years. Seriously though, when I do upgrade it will be to a Custom Wrapper, the Renzetti would be my second choice.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 09, 2005 08:44PM

This will be worth a plugged nickle!

Commercial Rod Wrapping Machine - Uses: Underwraps, buffing and sanding cork that was shaped outside on the turning lathe, high speed finish application (200 rpm), wrapping guidess on offshore big stuff with D size thread held in hand, waxing and rod clean up, false front for the customer to see and let him think I know what I am doing,

Vee Blocks with Velcro Tie Downs and spool thread tensioner systems - Butt wraps with chevrons and diamonds and all guides on inshore, bass and other small bore rods. All serious work when customer is not present!

The rod lathe pays its way with underwraps and finishing big time. Heavy duty metal chuck, No springs - very happy with Pac Bay machines.

Glad to be back!!!!

Gon ? Not Fishn

Posted by: Don Jones (65.213.88.---)
Date: October 10, 2005 12:43PM

I asked a similar question almost a year ago before I got started in building rods. I went to the Charlotte Show and came back with a Pac Bay. They were offering the free dryer deal which helped with the decision. I also bought the upgraded chuck. I use the Grizzly Hobby Lathe for cork. I have no complaints so far.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster