I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color Preserver and smeared ink.
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.47.246.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: October 07, 2005 11:41AM

I am looking for information.

For years I used Carter's Craft ink to label my rods, but I am no longer able to find that ink. I tried to use pigmented Speed Ball ink, but cannot find a color preserver that does not smear the ink. I like the consistency of the Speed Ball inks and would like to use them if I can find an answer to the smearing. I also use perma Gloss as my finish. I have tried Flex Coat (the least smearing), Guebrod 811, U-40 Color lock, and one from Classic Coat. I have also tried using the Pilot, Zig Painty, and Sharpie metallic pens, but due to my own lack of ability, the writing is too large (the ink comes out to rapidly) to make a neat signature or provide the CCS data for the rod.

A second problem I have had is that the two bottles of Gudebrod 811 color preserver I have received this year from two different sources have the consistency of hair gel. I have used this for many years when the viscosity was closer to water or perhaps maple syrup. Have any of you had the same problem with new bottles of Gudebrod 811? I know it can be thinned, but I prefer not to do that--I really worry about getting enough preserver to saturate the thread when it is diluted. Thanks for any help you can offer me.

Mike Blomme

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color Preserver and smeared ink.
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: October 07, 2005 11:51AM

Mike - there has to be another pen you can use. I used Jelly Roll pens, let them sit overnight & dry before I put finish over it, which worked fine. Are you waiting long enough between writing on teh blank & CP? Have you tried putting epoxy over teh finish (test blank) and skip the CP step? Do you scuff teh finish off the blank before writing? I'm not an expert on writing on blanks & such, maybe the new inks you've tried require a different method than teh Carter's?

There have been 3 thinning Gudebrod CP threads in the last week, at least.

Posted by: Joe Hamel (---.madison.k12.wi.us)
Date: October 07, 2005 12:36PM

Mike,
I also had a problem with ink smearing and I use perma-gloss as well. Someone on this board suggested using Kryopn workable fixative. I use paint pens and it stopped the smearing. You can buy it at hobby shops. Good luck.

Joe

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.47.13.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: October 07, 2005 12:55PM

Hi Billy,
I scuff the surface to remove the glossy gel coating (at least it behaves like the gel coat on my canoe) using 400 grit paper. I have been allowing the ink to dry from 6 hours to over night (usually about 12 hours elapsed time). I have tried to use Perma Gloss directly, but the smearing is almost instantaneous. I haven't tried any of the epoxy finishes beause I don't like to work with them. I've read every thread as well as Tom'e book and Rodmaker about applying epoxy and my only attempt was a disaster. I'm beginning to believe that acrylic preservers dissolve the acrylic inks. I tried to use the jelly pens, but need to find better colors to see if they work. Thanks for your comments.

Mike

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: October 07, 2005 01:26PM

Artist's Workable Fixatif is the answer. Krylon and Grumbacher both make it. Sign the rod as usual, then spray a very light dusting of the Workable Fixatif over it, let it dry and you can then apply your finish. I've never ink smear when using this stuff.

Gudebrod 811 is extremely inconsistent in viscosity. You can thin it with DNA to the consistency you want.

Posted by: Joshua Markvan (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2005 01:56PM

Yeah, I'm with Mr. Rhoades.
Any clear coat acrylic spray will do the trick.
The clear dries in less than an hour dependent on air temp and humidity.
I've never put a finish over inscription without clearcoating, and no smears to date, permagloss or epoxy.
The stuff I love is made my Utrecht. The name aludes me. Artists use it to make pastel art, etc. permanent.
Good luck and check out my website for inscription ideas.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: October 07, 2005 04:07PM

Are you guys referring to Krylon 0411 Fixative? If so, have you ever noticed cloudiness under the epoxy? If so, is that normal, or is that becaus eI prayed way too much on? I haven't tried that since my first rod & it looked terrible, but I'm sure I hacked it up. I might have another use for this stuff, good ideas guys. Back to the drawing board.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.54.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 07, 2005 08:04PM

Billy

I don't know if this will work better, no yellow ? This is a lacquer clear in a spray.
[www.plasti-kote.com]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.54.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 07, 2005 08:05PM

Billy

I don't know if this will work better, no yellow ? This is a lacquer clear in a spray.
[www.plasti-kote.com]

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on " colors "

Posted by: Kevin Pittman (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2005 10:59PM

In regards to clear coat acrylics and such.
I write on my rods with a .30 rapidograph pen and simly use hairspray once the ink has dried for a few minutes. Then put on a final layer or two of finish.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: October 08, 2005 08:16AM

Kevin Any discolor under the clear ??

Posted by: Matt Davis (66.228.246.---)
Date: October 10, 2005 07:43AM

Artists spray fix. That's all you need. Its made to do exactly what you're asking for. Plenty of companies make it and none is better than the other.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Dan Hogan (---.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: October 10, 2005 11:16AM

I played at being an artist at one time. Any fixative spray will work if it is dry. There are normally two kinds, acrylic and laquer. I have tried Krylon, Utrect (costs more), Grumbacher, Plasti-Cote. and Dull Cote (a plastic model laquer), and one I bought at Michael's all worked. The trick to home made labels is the right ink. Go to your printer Mfgs. site and check for the special inks to use print and let them dry then coat them.

Dan Hogan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster