I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
observations and helpful hints on color preserve
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: October 06, 2005 03:38PM

Posted a message under "cp problems" if you what my problem was. Because of my trouble with Gudebrod 811 I called the company and spoke to the man that was incharge of the thread and cp branch. This is the info he relayed to me. 811 can be diluted with either denatured alcohol or distilled water. He uses a half and half solution of alcohol and 811for his first coating. He then lets it dry and then uses 10% alcohol and the rest 811for his second coat.
Here is what I did and it worked well. I mixed half and half for my first coating in doing so I did one guide at a time covering the threads and just the threads , no dripping no cleanup. Oh,I used water but didn't have distilled. Boiled water and ran it thru a coffee filter.Waited till it dried then used 6 drops of 811 to 1 drop of water,and followed the same procedure.Worked fine. Observations For me 811 dries too fast for me to do a good job of coating in the concentrated form. The same thing is true of using alcohol .dries too quick even when doing one guide at a time. Im going to stick with water and use a little a possible to coat the guides. Hope this is helpful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: observations and helpful hints on color preserve
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: October 06, 2005 04:27PM

Thanks for the info Bill. I just got a bottle of 811 and now I know how and what to look for. Not sure I will like it. I usually thin out Elmer wood glue with water, thin and it has been working well.
Have a white blank with yellow nylon that has it on up on the photo page. The elmers worked well to keep the color of that yellow thread.

Date: October 06, 2005 04:42PM

Bill, there has been some questions about the lack of uv blockers in Elmers I believe. I can"t impress on you enough to do only one giude at a time and finish it. The stuff drys fast and there is no moving it witha brush

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.150.213.151.ip.alltel.net)
Date: October 06, 2005 04:43PM

Bill - thanks for the info. I had not even thought about calling Gudebrod - that was a good idea.
So far, I have used CP on every rod I have made, and only have used 811 (went overboard and bought 2 bottles when I started. Didn't realize how far it goes). With the very first rod, the 811 got tacky. Didn't know this wasn't normal, and when I applied the epoxy the colors were a little bit splotchy. Since then, I have taken a lot of time on each wrap, and made sure that all the threads were saturated, and everything has been good. But, maybe by thinning it I can do it a little quicker.
Steve Broadwell
www.bcrods.com

Posted by: Johnathan Sams (---.ij.net)
Date: October 06, 2005 04:45PM

Be careful when talking to Gudebrod about \"their\" color preserver. They don\'t make it and don\'t seem to really know all that much about it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: October 06, 2005 04:51PM

Bill From what i understand there is not really any thing that will protect threads from fading in the sun.

Posted by: Dave Lester (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: October 06, 2005 05:35PM

Is there an advantage that the 811 has over, say, U-40 CP? I've been using the U-40 with good results, no problems. I've also used it for feather inlays. It's water-based and dries slowly, but it works well for me.

Dave

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.dialup4.community-web.net)
Date: October 06, 2005 06:22PM

Dave,
811 holds spool color closer than U-40. U-40 allows the thread to darken more over a dark blank. On thicker bottles of 811(it is fairly variable in thickness from one bottle to the next), you do need to thin it about 25-30% on the first coat to help thread penetration and to insure filling the tunnels at the guide feet. I use it full strength for the second coat. Also U-40 can cause kind of a cloudy look over black thread and decals. With 811, coat thick and quick, then leave it alone.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 06, 2005 06:22PM

Johnathan Sams Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Be careful when talking to Gudebrod about
> \"their\" color preserver. They don\'t make it and
> don\'t seem to really know all that much about it.

What teh heck, it sounds like the person Bill spoke to knew enough about it to give him a technique that worked pretty good. Or am I crazy?

"I called the company and spoke to the man that was incharge of the thread and cp branch. This is the info he relayed to me. 811 can be diluted with either denatured alcohol or distilled water. He uses a half and half solution of alcohol and 811for his first coating. He then lets it dry and then uses 10% alcohol and the rest 811for his second coat.
Here is what I did and it worked well. I mixed half and half for my first coating in doing so I did one guide at a time covering the threads and just the threads , no dripping no cleanup. Oh,I used water but didn't have distilled. Boiled water and ran it thru a coffee filter.Waited till it dried then used 6 drops of 811 to 1 drop of water,and followed the same procedure.Worked fine. "

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.dialup4.community-web.net)
Date: October 06, 2005 06:48PM

My apologies to all for my ignorance, but if he boiled the water, ran it through a coffee filter, and then waited for it to dry, with what did he thin the CP. I have never been able to thin anything with dried water. If you can find a drop, then it's not dry.

Date: October 06, 2005 06:54PM

You have a legitimate question Lynn. I mixed the water and the pc together. Applied it to the wrappings.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 06, 2005 07:06PM

Bill Cohen,

"Bill, there has been some questions about the lack of uv blockers in Elmers I"
CP has nothing to do with UV and NO CP will block UV rays, nor will any finish on the market. CP is meant to prevent the thread color from changing when finish is applied, not to prevnt fading.

Mike

Date: October 06, 2005 07:57PM

Mike - that's not totally true, apparantly one CP causes threads to fade at an accelerated pace. One of the Sussies posted the pics & a description a while back. For this here post, I agree with you though, I know what you are saying & etc.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 06, 2005 08:37PM

Billy,

I saw that test but one test doesn't really prove a whole lot unless it can be duplicated enough to show consistant results (not that I doubt it) If the CP caused the thread to fade than it was the CP, not UV rays. There just hasn't been any research (that I know of) to produce any valid data. I would think that the thread itself would have to be UV resistant.

Mike

Date: October 06, 2005 09:43PM

Mike ,I think Tom as well Ralph O'Quinn talk about uv blockers in cps in some of their replys to certain messages.If I'm not mistaken.

Date: October 06, 2005 10:18PM

Mike - I hear you on repetitive testing, but all it takes for me is one time. THe same thread was used for all CP's & epoxies, one failed by itself & under epoxy, that's more than enough for me. There were all teh other ones which were pretty much fine, and that one which stuck out like a sore thumb.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.0.215.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: October 06, 2005 10:57PM

The test that Myles and I did (that I STILL need to get around to writing a test report on) also showed that a variety of threads treated with a certain CP (glass coat) faded significantly more, and faster, than the same threads with a different CP as well as threads with no CP at all. While I have no actual evidence, I feel that it has less to do with "UV blockers" than it does with a physical/chemical change to the thread dye upon application. Threads with this CP faded faster and more than threads without this CP, regardless of type and depth of finish used. I will try and get a decent report on the full test soon. (I know, I've been meaning to get around to this for some time now, but it's been a busy summer for me. It will be done soon... really!!!)

Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: October 06, 2005 11:13PM

Over the past few years I've tried about all the color preservers on the market. With the Flex Coat and U40 Color Lock I find my light colored threads sort of fade out quickly in just a season or two. It's really noticable. Both the Gudebrod 811 and Glass Coat Pro Color Sealer seem to hold the color on those same light threads with no fading at least after a full and hard season. Color retention seems about the same to me at least but the Glass Coat is easier to work with IMO.

Date: October 07, 2005 07:35AM

Shawn, teh color retention with all of them is good enough, as long as you don't put them side by side. Nobody puts rods ide by side, so teh colors all hold up for the most part good enough for 95% of us.

However, side by side, 811 does a slightly better job than GC CP, but you really have to look hard to tell, so you are right, they are the same. I actually did a rod withich I put 1/2 811 & 1/2 GC on teh butt wrap, just to see what happens over time. Too bad I use the rod only in the Winter when the UV level is low and nothing has changed that I can notice.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: October 07, 2005 11:28AM

Thanks for the info Bill. My experience has been the same. One guide at a time, don't flood. I will probably thin my 811 by about 20% with alcohol and use it for all the coats, as I do put on 3 coats. On the 3rd coat it begins to sparkle. Under a loupe it looks very good and flat. I finish with varnish or Klass Kote epoxy paint. In response to one of the questions, 811 is clear and also seems to function as a finish. I suspect you could finish the wrap with only 811.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster